PREFACE💘

PREFACE💘

(LAGOS)

(SEPTEMBER, 1991)

ROMOKE couldnt have been happier. Her smile that accentuated the parallel tribal marks across her face was as large as it could ever be. The past sixteen days for her had been dry and unfulfilling. Everyday, she would open the shop and wait for someone to at least come over to say hi, but nothing of the sort happened. Luckily for her, she was with her very best friend, Deborah.

DEBORAH was like Romoke in every regard, slim, slightly tall, jovial. Both of them would sit at the entrance of the shop, talking about a past event or day dreaming about when they would buy their own personal million dollar homes and leave the country. It went like this for days until this very day.

Romoke left home very early that morning, not forgetting to cook for her family. She picked up her keys and bid her father goodbye before leaving for the bus stop. She got on a bus and faced the usual Lagos traffic. It was tiring, but at least she got to her destination in time. Romoke opened the doors to her miniature clothing store where she sold used clothes at fairly ridiculous prices. She put on the lights, swept the floors, cleaned the counters and prepared for a new day. Her new day was dull, as expected, but it was the polar opposite when a young man walked into the shop.

GBENGA was a handsome man, with his clean shaven face and afro, he could easily be mistaken for a model. Gbenga walked into the shop with the aim of purchasing some pairs of jeans and a pair of shoes. But upon sighting the woman behind the counter, Gbenga knew he had to do just more than that.

Good morning madam. Gbenga said as he walked towards the counter.

Good morning. How may I help you? Romoke asked.

Sorry, but Im looking for some shoes and jeans?

Head over to the back, you will find them there, and if you walk a bit further down, you would see the changing room.

Gbenga thanked the nice woman and did as he told. Minutes passed by and he came back with three pairs of jeans and two pairs of shoes. He dropped them on the counter, anxiety written on his face. Romoke picked up the clothes, searched for the price tags on them, and punched some digits on the calculator before announcing. That will be fifty-five-naira sir. Gbenga tapped his pockets and brought out his wallet while Romoke did her job of bagging the purchased items. He handed over the money in cash to the young woman, and he picked up his items. Thank you for shopping with us today sir. Romoke said.

Youre welcome. But Im sorry. Whats your name?

Romoke sir.

Romoke. That sounds like a really nice name.

Thank you sir.

Its nothing. I was just wondering if you would be free to go out with me this evening. 7 Oclock to be precise. There is a restraunt opening around here somewhere and I would love it if you went with me.

Romoke was surprised but smitten either way. She was lost for words and took some time to think about it.

Its okay if you said no. Gbenga added

No. Its okay. I would also like to know your name too.

Oh. Sorry for my manners. My name is Gbenga, he added and stretched his hand forward for a shake.

Okay. Gbenga. I would love to go out with you this evening.

Oh. Okay. That sounds amazing. I would pick you up here at seven. If thats okay?

Sure thing. Ill be waiting.

The conversation finally ended and Gbenga walked out of the store. Romoke was delighted and couldnt wait to tell Deborah everything that happened. Im going on a date, she told herself. She couldnt believe what just happened. All she had to do now was wait for Deborah to come over to her shop, so they would sit down and gist about everything.

Finally, Deborah came over, sassy and joyous. Romoke couldnt wait to tell her everything that happened while she was away. She sat her best friend down on one of the stools behind the counter, and being an unemployed gossip, Deborah paid utmost attention to everything Romoke said, making expressions of surprise where appropriate. Did you say yes? Deborah asked, cutting Romoke off. Hold up let me tell you everything. Romoke continued with her story and when she was finally done, Deborah said, So what are you waiting for? Romoke face palmed and rolled her eyes as she laughed at her friends attitude to her story.

I want you to help me out here. Heaven knows what you did to get that hunk of a boyfriend of yours. Romoke said.

Deborah put her finger under her chin, pretending to think. Why dont you close the shop at 2 Oclock and we head over to your house and I fill you in.

What if I have customers?

Heaven and earth knows you wouldnt have customers Romoke. Its been what now? Three weeks since no one came over? Dont worry, youll be fine.

Romoke thought about her friends proposal and agreed to it. And just as what was said, Romoke packed up her belongings and closed the shop at exactly 2PM with Deborah. Both of them hailed a cab and gave the driver directions to Romokes low income apartment in Apapa.

Romoke paid off the driver and she and her friend had to jump over some gutter drainages and ensure their clothes were mud free before finally getting to Romoke's apartment. On getting in, they saw Baba in his wheelchair asleep with his radio close to him, playing an upbeat Reggae song, as he took in alternating deep and shallow breaths. To ensure everything was alright, Romoke placed two of her fingers on her fathers neck and placed her head on his chest to ensure everything was alright, and thanks be to God, everything was. The two friends removed their shoes and walked gently on the carpeted floor to avoid making any form of noise.

Romoke didnt live alone, and she didnt sleep alone either. She slept with her much younger sister Ruth who had little to no sense of proper cleanliness. The bedroom was untidy, disarranged and everything was out of place. Clothes and underwear scattered everywhere, books littered across the floor. The two friends took their time to clean up the bedroom before getting into business. After they were done, Deborah advised Romoke to go take her bath, to get rid of all the sweat, dirt and grime that must have been on her body. She followed her friends advice and she came back refreshed, her skin looking brighter. She dried herself up and wore a change of pants and bra before sitting down, listening to all Deborah had in stall for her. Deborah got out a makeup kit from her friends drawer and applied minimal face beats on Romoke. Romoke had a lot of fun trying on different clothes and modelling in them before they finally settling on a sleeveless top and a denim jacket, a pair of jeans and some sneakers. Deborah advised Romoke to always smile, thank him for compliments and to always be herself. After all these, she was finally ready to go on her date.

To cut the very long story short, Romoke had an amazing night out with Gbenga on the Lagos Island. She got to know a lot about Gbenga that night. She knew he was a budding accountant, and that he owned a car of his own, a Peugeot 404. She also knew he had a firm interest in politics and that he had an amazing sense of humour. Romoke was in love, and she wished to go on another date with this very handsome man.

Gbenga dropped Romoke off at the front of her house and when she got in, she met no one, not even baba. She searched the entire house frantically for them and had to ask her fellow neighbours if they knew anything about her fathers whereabouts. She knocked on a neighbours door and was immediately approached with hugs and words of sympathy. A very confused Romoke was quick to ask what happened.

This evening, your brother came back and minutes later, we heard screams from the house. We went over to check what happened and on getting there, we saw that your father was no longer breathing. My husband had to use his car to take the both of them to the hospital.

Ehen? Then what? Continue. What happened? Romoke was devastated at this point, on the brink of tears, she could only anticipate the worst.

On getting to the hospital, he was confirmed dead. finished the neighbour.

Romoke didnt know how she would take the news. Immediately, tears came pouring down her eyes and she began regretting all that happened that day. She regretted taking Gbenga up on his offer, she regretted not being there for her father. She was extremely upset and shocked. She put her hands on her head and began wailing, restlessly. Her neighbour tried her possible best to console her, but her efforts were fruitless. What else could she do? Bring Romokes father back to life? Romoke had to accept her new way of life, it was destined to happen anyway.