CHAPTER THIRTEEN

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

AANU

I got home to meet the door locked and knowing how we 'roll' in our family, I checked behind the window for the key. I picked it up then opened the door. No one was home, and it was a few minutes after 5 PM.

I went into my room and had a change of clothes, then settled in to do my assignments. I didn't understand their purpose and the school never allows any of us to. We were a few months to our final exams, or WAEC as we call it, and our school kept on thinking, oh yes, the best thing to give the children would be nothing but a junk pile of assignments on things they barely understand. Sometimes, I was glad my life was the way it was, because, it made school easier for me. Without Chidi in class, I was able to focus more, pay attention. I didn't always understand the full gist of the things that go on in class, but it was always better whenever I came home, relaxed and took my time to go over everything that was taught.

I finished my assignments and then took a glance at the clock that stood on my desk. It was almost 7 PM and I was still the only one at home. I got up, tucked my chair into the desk and went into the living room. I opened the door and looked out, but there was no one to be found. At that very moment, my stomach let out a grumbling sound, indicating I was hungry. So, I went into the kitchen and searched the entire place for some food to cook, or eat. There was nothing. The ramen I saw in the kitchen the night before, was gone. There was nothing but a sack of garri.

I didn't want to eat garri. I craved something more. I thought I would be able to cook something reasonable but we were all out of things to eat. No rice, no bread, no egg, just garri. I got out a bowl from the cupboard and fetched some then poured some water into it, before realising I had no sugar. I took out a plate and then covered the bowl and left the house to purchase some sugar.

It is common knowledge how garri swells up, but I told myself the longer the better. I ate cornflakes in school and wasn't ready to depend on that to keep me up throughout the entire day. I got out a fifty naira note from my purse and then went out of the house, not forgetting to lock up and keep the key where I found it.

It was now dark and the things that helped me with my vision were the headlights from oncoming cars that illuminated the way for me. The cold, dry, dusty harmattan breeze blew and I was shivering trying my possible best to cover as much of my body as I could and conserve some of my body heat.

On my way to the grocery store, I met mama Chidi. She was just closing her shop and she saw the way I looked depressed. She called me, and I went over to her, then she held me in her arms, asking me if everything was alright. I told her of the lack of food in my house and my plans to eat garri, but then she told me that I shouldn't be eating garri and I could have come over to her place anytime to eat something.

She reopened the shop, but then closed the doors behind her, to keep away the cold, ruthless wind from coming in. She held unto a rope and tugged on it, and then the place was suddenly lit up by the yellow light that gave the canteen the warmth I seriously needed.

Mama Chidi asked me what I would love to eat, but as every Nigerian child would reply, I told her I wouldn't mind eating anything. She urged me to make a choice, but deep within me, I believed it would be rude, seeing she would have to cook a lot of things from scratch, and I didn't want that.

"Shay, you will eat akpu?" she asked me.

I quickly nodded my head and sat down on one of the plastic chairs she had while I watched her bring out a tiny pot and pouring some items into the pot. It wasn't long before she was done with the food and she warmed up some of her leftover soup for me. It was my first time eating an Igbo delicacy, and I enjoyed it.

When I was done eating, mama Chidi told me that her daughter came to her shop infuriated. She asked me what was wrong with her and I replied, saying I didn't know what happened to her in school. She seemed fine the last time I spoke to her, and seeing that I didn't return home with her, then maybe something happened on her way home.

I thanked Mama Chidi and wanted to return home, but then she warned me that it was too dark and would ensure she walked me to my house. I didn't argue it because I knew I would end up giving in to her offer, and I was truly scared of the streets at night, especially because there were no streetlights available.

Mama Chidi finally closed for the day and she brought out her phone and put on the torch on her phone and that showed us the road to our houses. I got home and I could see that the lights in the living room were on, which meant only one thing, there was someone at home. Mama Chidi wished me well, before leaving me alone and heading towards her own house.

I entered the house and heard an unamusing scream.

"Aaargh"

I tumbled backwards and then realised that it was Tunde.

"You scared the hell out of me," he said

"Same thing you idiot. Where did you go?"

"Where were you? It's none of your business where I went to."

"And it's also none of your business where I was."

I flopped on the couch and placed a pillow on my chest and held onto it ever so tightly, I squeezed into myself and while I was slowly falling asleep, someone tapped me on my shoulder.

"I'm hungry," Tunde said.

"Ooooooh, God! You this boy, are you okay? What's my business, enter the kitchen and find yourself something to eat, don't disturb me. Did you leave food for me to cook for you? Abeg, leave me alone, I want to sleep."

"Ahan. Mummy is not around to cook, Daddy and brother Debo too have not entered. What will I now eat?"

"See ehn, that is not my business, I left soaked garri in the kitchen, if you're so hungry, you will enter there and finish it up, okay?"

"Ehn, I have already eaten that."

"Then stop disturbing me. Look at the time, it's almost ten O'clock, better go and sleep, remember you have school tomorrow." I said, pointing at the clock that was mounted on the wall in our living room.

"I'm not going to school tomorrow."

"Tor, that one is your business, just leave me alone. I am waiting for mummy and everybody to come back if you like don't go and sleep." I said as I snuggled back into the couch and placed my head on the headrest while holding one of the throw pillows.

I guess Tunde got tired of watching me sleep because minutes later, I heard a door close and then everywhere became quiet.