Meeting them

Amara Luca

Amara Luca

"20?"

" See Sir you are elder and I respect elders but I can't allow you to steal from me!"

The old man sighed with irritation.

"It's 20 or nothing girl!! Don't waste my time! Get going!"

The girl wanted it desperately but her attitude showed something else.

"My final price is 18...neither yours nor mine"

The vendor cleaned the sweat running down his forehead and moved his head in a no.

Her eyes were fixed on the juicy looking apples.
They sure will bring a smile on Aiden's face.

She turned around to leave, showing her indifference in buying them.
With a little hope still in her heart.

"Hey! You!"

The vendor called from behind, making her squeal in happiness internally.

"Yes?"
She turned around trying to hide the wide smile with her cold exterior.

"5 kgs take from this side"

Without wasting a second she choose the best apples for her dearest brother.

Leaving with a bright smile on her face she hopped like a kindergarten girl.
An old song was humming on her lips as her brown eyes looked at everything around her in excitement.

Small children playing, mothers scolding, cars honking, signals changing.
Every day's hustle was keeping her mind occupied.

When suddenly her feet felt different and when she looked down she sighed.
The sole of her worn out sneakers was again coming out.

Her eyes looked around for a solution to find nothing.

The stationery shop was still a kilometre walk and this scorching heat will burn her feet till then.

Sighing loudly she sat on the pavement with her shoe in her hand.
Scrutinising and cursing it, again and again, she looked around for any kind of help.

No car was going to stop for her, they were zooming past her at crazy speeds.
Especially those local busses.

Her eyes fell on her companion that sat at the other side of the road just like her.

Except for a few differences of course.
For first the thing was an 'it' and well she was a 'she'
Second is that it had a little longer tongue than her which was drooling its saliva on the gravel.
And third, is that it looked calm in this burning heat while she was getting roasted like a fudging peanut.

The dog was looking at her like she was her arch enemy.
Oh, come on now even dogs hate me!
She thought.

Ignoring his stare she placed her hand over her eyes forming a protective gear.