9: Normality at Its Finest

Hi guys! This is my shortest chapter yet. It was actually supposed to be a part of a longer chapter, but I thought I'd separate this little snippet as an apology for not posting for about two weeks. I hope you guys can forgive me!

Also, Chapter 10 is private so you have to be a follower to read it! I don't care if you unfollow me after you read it, honestly lol, do what you gotta do. I'll admit that I follow people to read a chapter and then unfollow them when I'm done lmfao. 

Warning: Josie is in this chapter. Not only does she say the n-word, but the says some things that other people might find offensive. It concerns white people as a race and might make someone feel some type of way. Be warned.

------

Ranil jumped when a bag was slammed into the salon seat next to his station. It was one of his days off of being an apprentice and he was at Herbs and Urban, dragging his hands though the familiar kinkiness of Black hair that he was used to. He turned to his right to see a fuming Josie. Her face was the angriest he’d seen in a while. After a quick glance at his watch, he saw that she should be in class at that moment.

“What are you doing here?” He asked her as he began foiling his customer’s hair for a new dye job.

“I’m so sick of white people!” Josie exclaimed.

Ranil looked at her with wide eyed. “Okay, racist, slow down.” He said. She was visibly shaking and Ranil put his foils and brush down on his station table. “Take a seat.” He said ushering her into the seat she harshly threw her bag in. Josie sat down just as harshly.

“What happened boo?” His customer asked Josie.

Josie took a deep breath. “So I walk into fucking class, and I don’t even know what that bitch was talkin’ bout but like, she was like ‘you know, I wish people could see each other equally. I don’t care if you’re black or white or green or yellow. Everyone is the same’ Yeah. She said some shit like that!” Josie said angrily.

Ranil put her hair in a sliver of foil and painted it with creamy dye. He nodded his head while letting out a snort, “Why’re you so surprised?” Ranil asked her. She should know by now how it works around these parts. It was so typical of a person with a privilege to say something like that.

“When I say I fucking blew my lid!” Josie yelled, clutching the seat’s arm rests. “I said, bitch like what the fuck? Instead of pretending you color blind why the fuck don’t you just accept that he’s blue, she’s silver, and he’s red? Huh?” Josie asked rhetorically, only relaying what she supposedly said to the girl in her class. Knowing her though, she totally said it and she said it exactly as she was relating it. “Like bitch, instead of ignoring what makes people different accept that shit. The world ain’t gon’ change until we accept that shit! Saying you don’t care about my skin color is just as bad as saying you don’t like me ‘cause I’m black like fuuuck!” Josie threw her head back and slumped in the seat. But just as quickly as she fell she rose again, “But like they used to that shit. They so used to saying whatever they fuck they feel like ‘cause they think they can say that shit and get away with it.”

Ranil shook his head and the lady whose hair he was styling snorted. “Baby that’s how the world works. What school you at?” She asked Josie, turning her brown head to look at her. It made Ranil have to turn slightly too.

“UNCG.” Josie said, then letting out a groan.

The lady chuckled, “That ain’t that bad.” She remarked, “I thought it was some bougie-ass school like HPU or somethin’.”

            Ranil barked out a laugh, “Josie wouldn’t make it a day in that school.”

            “Ya’ll I ain’t even finished!” Josie shrieked, “I’m not even fucking finished yo.” She exclaimed, standing up and clapping her hands to enunciate. “This bitch had the fucking gall to say some shit like, ‘oh well I didn’t think about it that way.’” Josie fell back into the seat dramatically. “Bitch you guessed it!” She said with amazement.