𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔬𝔤𝔲𝔢

word count: 730

word count: 730

  My middle school classroom is rowdy, as usual

  My middle school classroom is rowdy, as usual. All around me, kids shout at their so-called friends and sneak a chance at showing off their quirks when they think our sensei isn't looking.

"All right class, quiet down," our sensei orders. "Your graduation is coming up soon. I'd hand out these career forms... but I'm guessing you all want to be pro heroes!"

The class roars an unanimous "Yeah!"

"Don't lump me in with these losers, Sensei!" A deep voice yells. With his feet on the desk, Kacchan oozes confidence. "I'm the real deal but these guys will be lucky to end up with some busted D-lister! Hah!"

The rest of the class boos protests at Bakugo's enormous ego, but he ignores them. "I aced all the mock tests! I'll be the first ever from this crappy middle school to get into U.A. High!"

Sensei rolls his eyes at Bakugo's attitude. "You were also aiming for U.A., right, Midoriya?"

I can feel everyone's eyes burning into me. "Umm.."

Kacchan leaps up from his chair, rage overcoming his features. "You? Ha! As if you could ever get into U.A.! You're a quirkless nobody, damn nerd!"

I shrink back into my seat, wishing that the floor would open up and swallow me whole. "There's no harm in trying," I whisper, but no one hears me over the jeering of classmates.

After the miserable school day, I walk home, alone, shoulders slumped. The streets are crowed with gakusei (students) hanging out with friends, laughing and chatting lousy. I feel claustrophobic all of a sudden. All I want to do is escape all these people.

I turn away from my regular route and cut down a dingy, dark alleyway. I'm alone, but it looks sketchy. I could probably get murdered in this suspicious place... no, I shouldn't think like that.

"Deku."

I hear Kacchan hiss my name. Oh, no. I guess I am going to get murdered here.

He stomps over to me. "Why are you everywhere I fucking go, damn nerd!" he demands.

I tremble. "S-sorry K-kacchan!"

He grabs me roughly by the front of my shirt and pushes me back, slamming me into the hard concrete wall.

"Don't even think about trying to get into U.A.!" he yells. "I'm supposed to be the only one to get in from our school! Don't come in and fuck everything up for me! I'm the one who's gonna be the number one hero, not you, damn nerd!" He drops my shirt and uses his quirk to singe my stomach with a painful punch.

I figure I'm about to die anyway, so I gather my only shred of confidence and manage to say, "W-why do you c-care if I g-get in? A-are — do you feel th-th-threatened by m-me?"

Oops. I've done it now.

Kacchan is fuming. "As if, shitty Deku!" You're nothing! You're just a fucking, quirkless extra! Nerd!" He is breathing heavily, and I can feel his exhaling against my cheeks. Our faces are just centimetres apart, his hands on either side of my head.

He stares at me, crimson eyes locking on mine, and I feel a blush rise onto my cheeks. He leans in close to my neck. My heart races.

"Stupid Deku," he growls softly in my ear. "If you really want a quirk so badly, maybe you'll get one in your next life. No one wants you any way, so try taking a swan dive off the roof of the building." He says it in an eerily quiet tone, so un-Kacchan-like.

I can feel my eyes well up with salty tears that threaten to spill over. "Yeah, Kacchan." I murmur. "Maybe I will."

For a millisecond, I see shock flit across his attractive face, then it's gone. He regains his composure, straightening up. "It'd do everyone a favour," he says, almost half-heartedly.

He releases me from where I was pinned on the wall, and I slump to the dirty floor. I shove my face into my knees and sob quietly.

I hear Bakugo trudge away, and I look up, vision blurry from the tears. "I'm sorry, Kacchan," I croak.

He glances at me over his shoulder, and for a second, I think that he's going to come over, and we'll be friends again, just like when we were kids. 

But he just shakes his head at me and leaves.