5. Good karma

It had been three days since the first attempt of an ambush. Even when deep in the forest, George would still come visit him every now and then, bringing him food and telling him all about the plans Sapnap planned for their next big attempt.

It was noon and the sun was burning down on Clay, as he waited for George to show up. They have agreed on a way of communication. When the sun was up in the sky like this, Clay looked up and then back at the tree, George would come to the big oak tree in the middle of a flower forest. He would leave his message on a piece of parchment, as long as some food or some other things. Then, when the sun would be low, Clay would go retrieve it.

The reason they would go at different times is in case George was accompanied by other people, or just the fact that it was safer for Clay to do things during the night. However, this time, Clay was waiting near the oak tree, waiting for George to show up.

Soon enough, a tiny brunette boy appeared in between the trees, carrying a piece of parchment and a parcel. His eyes lit up when he noticed the blonde leaning against the tree, a smile tugging on his lips.

"Hey, you," George mumbled lightly, instinctively crushing the parchment in between his fingers. Clay perked up, gesturing him to come by, "What are you doing here? You're supposed to come at night, dummy."

"Well yeah, but I also wanted to see your face," Clay admitted, brushing his hand on George's arm. George huffed and handed him the parcel, "What's this?"

The taller boy opened it carefully, revealing some sort of necklace. It had a tiny raven engraved it in, as well as the initials C and G, "Happy 21st birthday," said George proudly, watching his friend examine the necklace in awe, "Did it myself. Looks a bit wonky but I guess you could say it's a metaphor for our friendship. Wonky."

Clay put the necklace on, beaming at George. "Thank you," was all he could say at the moment, glancing every now and then at the gift he was given. George couldn't help but smile.

"Well I must get going, uh, guard practice I reckon," George began but was stopped by the blonde reaching out for his arm, "Er, yes?"

"I need to tell you something," said Clay softly, his stance shifting. George hummed in response, "Uh, well, I know this is kind of hectic with the whole situation, but I wanted to thank you for being such a good friend."

"And uh.. I wanted to say that you make me really happy. Like really happy. I won't stop fighting this losing battle because of you," he finished simply. George stared at him, not knowing what to make of this, "Maybe it's friendship. Maybe it's love. I can't tell yet."

George felt his stomach twist in knots. "Don't let them hear you say that. If you're not going to die because of the framed murder, you'll definitely get killed because of this," George replied solemnly, hesitating before touching Clay's cheek lightly, rubbing it with his thumb, "But then again, we could always meet in the afterlife and live there together?"

Clay let out a weak laugh. "Yeah, that would be nice."

The two stared at each other for a few seconds, before Clay broke the silence again. "What does this make us?"

"Gay," George answered with a straight face, suppressing a smile growing on his lips. He finally gave in, giggling softly as he took hold of the blonde's hand, intertwining the fingers.

"If this is gay then I wouldn't have it any other way," Clay whispered before pulling George into a quick hug, waving him goodbye as he watched his best friend disappear for guard practice.

Now he was alone.

Clay decided to venture a bit more, maybe find some food. He was busy picking up berries down a stream, when he heard something move. 'Deer stuck in hole?' Clay mused, walking into the direction of the noise. He was greatly disappointed when he saw a man, no older than he was, with his leg stuck in mud.

"You! Please help me," the man groaned, resting his head on his knee, which was practically being swallowed by the mud. "I've been sitting here for the past hour and I'm not having a good time."

The man was covered in dirt and his hands were covered in blood. Clay wasn't even surprised, he must have fell, broken his hand and landed in some sort of quicksand mud hybrid. Clay moved to help him, extending his hand and attempting to pull him up.

The man had, what seemed like, a pinkish shade of hair, with pale skin and dark brown eyes. He looked very tired and hungry.

Clay heaved and managed to pull out the guy, who immediately fell to his knees and looked up at the sky triumphantly, "Victory!"

"Here, I can give you food if you want. Who are you, anyways?" The blonde said while he reached for his pocket and took out a stale piece of bread. The boy took it and chewed on it slowly, savouring every bite.

"My name is Dave, although I prefer the nickname Techno," Techno said in a monotone sort of way, not taking his eyes off of the food in his hand, "I am a very famous person, I'm surprised you don't know who I am."

Not knowing whether Techno was being sarcastic or not, Clay decided to keep his mouth shut. Instead, he took out his flask which was filled with water and poured it over the pink haired boy's hands. He nodded in gratitude.

"What's your name?" Techno inquired, looking around for any more pieces of bread. Clay handed him a loaf and some cooked salmon, before lying down onto the grass.

"Cl- Dream," said Clay, realising it's probably not the best idea to give this random and so-called famous person your name - especially if you're a 'wanted criminal', "My name is Dream."

"Well, Dream, thank you for your hospitality," Techno grinned, giving him a curt nod and getting up rather slowly, "Uhh, you don't happen to know where the nearest town is, do you? Haishi Town, perhaps?"

Clay thought for a bit before answering, "Haishi is north, I believe," he said, pointing in a direction up the hill from which he came from, "Just head in that direction until you find this river. Then head west until you find a path. You should be out by then."

"You are a lifesaver, Dream," said the pink haired boy, his lips curling upwards. He looked north and smiled, "My people must be wondering where I am."

Clay snorted. "Your people?" he asked, holding back a laugh. Techno looked at him and narrowed his eyes. Clay stopped.

"My goons, my family, my friends. My people," Techno replied simply, giving him a warm smile and salute before staring up into the distance, "We shall meet again, Dream. Until then."

With that being said, Techno started walking north, disappearing through the trees. Clay stared at him and then slapped himself, making sure he did not just imagine this encounter.

"That was bizarre," he muttered softly, getting up and continuing his hunt for food, the mental picture of Techno flickering in his mind.

He looked familiar yet so unfamiliar. Clay decided to shake that image out of his head.

How curious.