THE SECRET DIARY OF PEETA MELLARK/ THE BOY WITH THE BREAD

yeah, that was stupid. but I couldn't resist it. her phone was right there, what do you expect me to do? she'll thank me later. i hope. she better. because if she doesn't I'm going to die tonight. I haven't known her for very long, and yet I've already seen her most obvious side- the angry, bad side. pray for me.

"You think I can't handle this myself?" Katniss whipped me to the side, hitting me in the face with her long braid. "And how did you text Johanna?" I gulped and resisted the answer. She stared at me until I finally gave in.

"Okay. I saw your guy's texts and texted her on your phone asking her to come because I knew you didn't actually want to come to the party." She let out a frustrated sigh.

"You piece of sh-" she paused. "Thank you." She loosened her grip on my arm and walked past everyone else, right into the house. I didn't know what to do, but eventually I followed behind her. I was only able to see her for a little bit, until she vanished into the crowd and I was sucked into my own vortex of people.

"You lost?" Smushed up against the wall, I peeled myself away and faced the source of the voice. A young, blonde girl who was just as attractive as she was quiet. And she was very quiet. I was barely able to make out her voice in the midst of the music and yelling.

I had been to a lot of parties. They had always been my favorite. But this one was weird. I wasn't the center of attention, and no one knew who I was.

"Very lost," I said, looking a little dreamy eyed and bonkers in the head. "If you can even get lost at a party." The girl smiled a little and brushed some hair out of her face.

"I'm Delly," she said quietly, reaching her hand out. I gently shook it.

"Pe-." I almost slipped. "Rowen," I said as I let go.

"Nice." We stood there in our own silence for an eternity, and it seemed impossible to break. But she did, eventually. That had been the most I had talked to someone in a long time. No girly squeals. No autographs to sign. An actual, human one on one conversation with someone.

"You're sweet, Rowen. I'll see you around?" She left before I could answer, but not before she pecked me lightly on my cheek. I felt myself blushing.

"Where the hell have you been?" Katniss walked up to me from behind, causing me to jump and squeak like a little girl. She laughed. "Who were you talking to?"

"Her name's Delly. You probably know her," I said casually. At that moment, I knew that was probably the stupidest thing I could have said.

"Shit, kid. Everyone knows everyone here. This isn't Hollywood."

"Ummm. Okay?"

An awkward silence stuck in the atmosphere until Katniss finally spoke up. Yet again, the girl had to break the ice and I felt like absolute shit.

"Let's get back to the party."

"Why? We could just stay here."

"There are snacks," she said with a wink.

"We should get back to the party," I repeated mockingly, leading my own path to the center of the party where rows of tables were set out that had different kinds of food. I instantly took advantage of the stack of brownie bites.

"Dear God, Peet- I mean Rowen," Katniss said. "How many of those have you eaten?!"

"Uh," I said, mouth full with brownies. "Nine?"