5

Toms POV

I know.

The fact that I knew about the project and asked Mrs Jennifer to pair me up with Ellie really does portray me as a creepy freak.

But I had too!

Mr Andrews depends on me and I can't let him down, after all he did offer me a load of money.

Ellie's reaction really got to me. She was horrified that she had been paired up with me, but I did what I had to do.

Was I really that bad?

"Okay class! So this project is going to be on Shakespeare as you know, we have been learning about his plays and so on, therefore you have to make a presentation about his play Romeo and Juliet and you guys will have to pick out a part of the play and present it in front of the class-"

"We have drama class for that" Ellie interrupted, twirling her hair and looking at Mrs Jennifer menacingly.

"Yes, I know that Ellie, but I want to see your acting skills and presentation skills, alright? More information will be online on the school's homework page" Mrs Jennifer finished just as the bell rang.

I picked up my bag from under my desk and slung it over my shoulder, wanting to leave the room as soon as possible.

Just as I opened the door, a hand grabbed the back of my bag and pulled me into the classroom again.

"What the-"

"Shut up. Just follow me, and don't be too obvious." whispered a person behind me, but I knew who it was. Ellie walked past me briskly and a few seconds after she had left the room, I followed her.

She walked around a few corners and through a couple of doors, but she finally led me through to the back entrance of the school.

"Look, please don't talk to me and I can't believe I'm even talking to you right now, but come to my house in an hour," she started, her back facing me, "And please spray something on yourself, I don't want you to infect my house." I just stared at her.

I walked up to her and turned her around. She squealed at my contact and slapped my hand away.

"What do you want, you freak!"

"I want you to stop treating me like a piece of shit. I want you to realise that I'm not any different to all of your fucking friends and that I've had enough of having to put up with you. You don't even know why you treat me like this. It's because I'm not famous like Sam, but that doesn't mean you can't even look at me. Why do you think your better than everybody else? Am I some fucking homeless person to you like all the other 'worthless' people you don't give to shits about? If you don't start to treat me differently, you can do this project by yourself." I spat.

She stared at me in awe and I turned around to leave. The only noise present was the sound of the leaves swaying in the wind.

Just as I was about to go back into the building, she called after me, "Wait!" I sighed as I looked back at her.

"P-please don't leave. Please just help me." I looked deep into her eyes, and behind all the annoyance, I saw concern. I couldn't believe she had actually said please to me. I hoped that her actions towards me would change after all.

"Fine." I mumbled and disappeared through the door.

———

As I pulled in through the gates of Ellie's house, I couldn't help but feel nervous. Her dad would probably be there, but what worried me most of all was if Ellie would start to treat me differently.