Chapter One

"Can you please move faster, Estelle? You're almost late and you still have to walk to your school. Goodness!"

There goes my mom again, nagging early in the morning. Doesn't she get tired of doing that every day?

I hurriedly wore my shoes and grabbed the sandwich on the table then went to the living room to get my other stuff.

"No worries mom, I can get there on time." I kissed her cheek goodbye then went outside.

I took a glance at my wristwatch and I wasn't surprised to see that I'm already two minutes late. I'm starting to think that being late is my talent hahaha.

My school is just two blocks away from our house so I don't bother riding on wheels. I made a combination of run and jog to get there faster.

As I was about to cross the road, a red car with a rock song blaring from the speaker was fast approaching like it doesn't care about anyone, at all. It passed by me and headed straight to the university I was attending.

Tsk. Conceited jerk.

I continued to run and jog at the same time and this is where I wanna curse my room. Why is it located on the 5th floor?! And the elevator's not even working! What a great way to start your day, Amara Estelle.

"Ms. Pierce, very consistent in being tardy. You have my respect in that." Ms. Paula, our English and homeroom teacher, greeted me as soon as I walked in the room, sweaty and out of breath.

"I'll keep it up, Miss. You might give me an award for this." I joked that made the whole class laugh. Ms. Paula just sighed and motioned me to sit before resuming her discussion.

I took my jacket off and tied my hair up before I took a sit. To my surprise, someone put a water bottle on my table.

"I haven't opened it yet. I think you need it more than I do."

Since when did I have a seatmate? The last time I checked, I'm all alone in the last row.

"I'm Mason, I was assigned to sit here if that's what you're thinking. You see, the seating arrangement is changed."

I roamed my eyes in our room and saw that it was really changed. But how come I'm still in my seat? Nah, doesn't matter. I glanced back at the guy beside me to see that he's still looking at me.

"Thanks," I muttered and gave him a close-mouthed smile then focused on the discussion.

Time passed and it's already lunchtime, every student's relief time in school. I was about to go when someone called my name. I looked back to see that it was the guy this morning. Who was this again? Sorry, I'm not good at names.

"Hey!" he said and I just answered it with a nod. "Are you going to take your lunch? Can I tag along?"

And since when did I have someone tagging along? Nah, not in my vocabulary.

But he gave you water this morning, Stelle. You have to give something in return.

Did I ask him to do that? No, I didn't. So I have nothing to give back. Tsk.

The person's just being nice, Stelle. Give the guy a chance.

"Uhm, Amara? Is there something wrong? If you don't want to, maybe some other time." he said sounding so disappointed then bid goodbye.

He was a couple of meters away from me when I made up my mind.

Damn, sub-consciousness! Better not regret this tss.

"Hey, the guy who gave me water! Wait!" he stopped then looked back at me dazed. I closed our gap as I took steps forward to him. "Having someone extra at lunch isn't bad."

He was still confused so I stretched out my right hand and snapped at his face that brought him back to reality. I walked passed by him.

"You should start walking now if you want to keep up with me."

It didn't take him a minute to walk with me at the same pace. Well, he has long legs, maybe my three steps only take a step for him. I envy tall people, tsk.

I was again surprised to see the cafeteria packed but not like usual. It was a mess and noisy. Students are circling on the far left side of the cafeteria as if watching something entertaining, some are even taking their cash out of their pockets and wallets to bet.

Betting on what, exactly?

"What's the ruckus about?" I heard the guy who gave me water asked the girl near us.

The girl flashed a sweet smile and looked different to this guy I am with. Is she interested in him?

"Uhm someone wearing a red sando barged in here earlier, he was mad and shouting. He looked around and went running straight to a guy, landing him a hard punch on the face. And the rest follows as what you see." she answered with admiration still in her eyes.

This guy beside me just nodded and was about to leave when the girl grabbed him by the arm.

"Uhm. Can I take a picture with you, Mason?" she asked almost giggling.

Oh, so Mason is his name. But why would she ask him for a picture? Is he somewhat an idol? Mason just nodded at her request.

As they were taking pictures together, I walked closer to where the commotion is. Is this even allowed in the university? Why is there nobody stopping them?

I had a hard time squeezing myself in the crowd just to see what's happening and for the third time today, I'm again surprised.

The guy with the red sando the girl was referring to a while ago was the same conceited jerk driving the red car this morning.

A small world it is. He's not just conceited but also arrogant. Tsk.

He threw punches at the guy that already looks so messed up. Shit, bet that hurts so bad! As he was about to give another blow, we heard a whistle that made the students running like wildcats back to their seats like they didn't care.

"MR. GRAYSON! LAND ANOTHER PUNCH TO THAT PERSON AND I WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME TREATMENT YOU GAVE! " someone in his mid-30's screamed as he got inside the cafeteria. He was being followed by a group of uniformed men, police maybe.

They're jogging their way to the guy they called Grayson. I was about to be stumbled by them but someone grabbed me by the arm and pulled me out of the way. I looked at the person astounded.

"You might get yourself in trouble, let's go!" I wasn't able to utter any words when the person pulled me out of the cafeteria.

"Amara! There you are! I thought you were dragged by the stampede. Are you alright?" Mason asked as soon as he saw me outside the cafeteria.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered then looked at the person who helped me.

"Oy Luna, I'm glad you found her." Mason thanked the girl beside me.

"Ano ka ba Mason, I'm just doing my job." she slightly laughed. "And she looked lost, I had to help." she glanced at me then smiled.

Our attention was caught when we heard a loud thud by the door of the cafeteria. The guy in red sando was on the floor, pinned down by two officers. The man in his mid-30's followed.

"Stop this nonsense, Mr. Grayson! You're disturbing the students!" he once again screamed.

Grayson just hissed as he was being escorted by the officers. As they passed by us, our gazes met. And what he did next caught me off guard.

He elbowed the officers holding him, got out of their grip, and ran towards me. And for I don't know how many times this is today, I was surprised, again.

He hugged me tight which made me froze to my feet and what he said next bombarded my whole system.

"It's you, finally. I found you."

×××××

tornadopolarrr