Chapter 6: The Issue

Barb's POV

"What am I supposed to do, Debbie?" I said to her, still thinking about Poppy, "I mean I want to tell her, but I don't know how she'll react if I do."

Debbie just stood there, giving a usual bat growl.

"I know, right?" I said, feeling defeated.

My crush on Poppy was driving me crazy! I couldn't even bring myself to tell her how I felt. I just worried about if she would feel the same of not, or if our friendship would even still be there.

Still, I just wish I could tell her, to tell her how I felt, to let her know that I loved her. I mean, there were so many things that could come from it. For starters, it could unite the two kingdoms in a way like never before. We could have pathways and bridges to help when moving around both kingdoms, and it would connect us even further as a community.

I could just imagine it in my head, me and Poppy, living peacefully in our palaces, observing the new kingdoms, maybe even...tying the knot.

That thought was pretty crazy, I know, but I still thought about it as the days went by. I could see it clearly, both of us getting married, starting a family, maybe even adopting a kid or two along the way. We'd teach the kid both Pop and Rock songs, and as we got older, watch him or her grow up to be an awesome leader of both tribes.

Alas, it was impossible, though. She was with Branch now, so it didn't matter if I told her or not. I do love her, but if she wants to be with Branch, then I can't just ruin that for my own pleasure.

I looked at Debbie, right in her eyes, trying to seek some comfort.

"What should I do, Debbie?" I said, a bit of sadness in my voice.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. I got up, brushed myself off, pulled myself together, and opened it. It was Poppy, and she seemed both sad and in distress.

"Poppy? What are you doing back here?" I asked, confused.

"Uh, I might need a place to stay tonight," she told me.

"Uh, sure, why? Is something wrong?" I asked, concerned.

"Pretty much everything right now," she said, sadly.

"Well, come on in, you can tell me."

As soon as she came in, she explained everything to me. Her people thought she was defecting to the Hard Rock Trolls, and threw her out of power. Her friends were safe, but she wasn't sure if she could return.

"Oh, that's awful," I said, "what about Branch?"

"He stayed behind, to protect the others. He said I had to leave or else they'd find me, which is why I came here."

"Well, you can stay for as long as you need. I'll even let you bunk with me if you want."

"Really?"

"Sure thing," I said as I went over to my bed, pulling out a small cot underneath it, "just for you."

"Thanks Barb," she said, giving me a hug, "hopefully the others don't mind me here."

"Don't worry, it'll be fine. Tell you what, I'll get us both some dinner while you set yourself up here."

"Thanks, be safe!"

"I will, be back soon!" I said as I headed out the door.

As soon as I was outside, I slumped against the door. My crush...is in my room...bunking with me, I thought to myself, what am I gonna do!?

I calmed myself down and headed over to my flyer bug, going to get some food for the both of us. Poppy was only staying until things could get fixed with her and Pop Village, that was it.

Still, I hoped that now that she'd be bunking with me for a while, that I could finally tell her, and that she would hopefully understand.