Chapter 17: The Aftermath

Poppy's POV

I used my hair as a parachute to land safely. As soon as I did, I walked over to Creek in the crater, standing over him.

"It's over," I told him, coldly.

The guards came over and dragged him away, though he barely resisted.

"Just wait!" he yelled from the distance, "you'll wish you had me back! You'll wish!"

After Creek was dragged away, I spotted something in the crater and I picked it up. It was my crown. I looked around at everyone, including my friends, and they all nodded in agreement.

"It's yours if you want it, Popsqueak," Barb said, reassuringly.

"And that means you can decide what kind of Queen you are," Branch added.

I nodded and put it on. It went weird with the outfit, but I still went with it. The people all gathered around me, cheering me on and welcoming me back. It was good to be back.

A few months went by after that. The village was rebuilt, the rest of Creek's followers were arrested, and the people started getting along with each other again. The whole thing was quite a point of topic with the other four tribes, but we moved forward after that. Pretty soon, everything and everyone went back to normal.

That is, everyone except me. I just couldn't get over my feeling towards Barb. We both had a lot to do now that the whole conflict was settled, and I only got a few glimpses of her from time to time. I just didn't know what to do.

I woke up plagued by that thought one morning, and I decided to go out for a walk and clear my head. I was just divided, I didn't know what to do or think anymore. That is, until Debbie came flying out of nowhere, dropping off small envelope and then flying away. I picked it up and read it to myself.

Dear Queen Poppy, it said, you are invited to the annual gathering of the Fall Rock Harvest Dance. Please dress appropriately for the occasion, and arrive by 6:00 at the Lava Fall Auditorium.

"Another letter from Barb?" a voice called from behind.

I turned around to see it was Branch and all my friends: Biggie, Smidge, Legsly, Satin, Chenille, Guy and Tiny Diamond, DJ Suki, and Cooper.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked, her somehow already knowing the answer.

"We're here to tell you you should go," Biggie said, encouragingly.

"Yeah," everybody else said, agreeing with him.

"Why?" I asked, "why should I?"

"Because you love Barb and she loves you," DJ chimed in, "and you shouldn't be ashamed of that."

"Wait, so you guys aren't upset about this?" I
asked, confused.

"You're out friend Poppy," Biggie said, holding Mr. Dinkles, "we could never be upset by something like this."

"If you love Barb and wanna be with her then we'll support you all the way through," Guy Diamond said, holding his kid.

"Yeah, and right now, we all think you should go tonight if that's what you want," Branch said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"But, Branch, what about you?" I asked, concerned, "won't you be pretty sad if I do?"

"Poppy, listen to me."

I looked at him in the eye, tears forming a bit.

"I know things haven't been easy lately, and I know you're worried about how I might take it if you and Barb are together. But you have nothing to worry about. If you're happier with Barb, then I'm happy. It's taken me a long time to find happiness in my life, and I've found it already. I think it's time you go find yours, even if it's not with me, and you know where to look."

"You sure?" I asked, sadness in my voice a little.

"Don't lose your chance while you have it," Branch said, maturely.

"Thanks, Branch," I said, hugging him.

Everyone else joined in, giving us a nice big group hug.

As soon as they left, I went back inside and looked in my mirror. I knew in my heart they were right, I couldn't deny it anymore. As crazy as it was, I loved Barb. I looked up at myself, determination in my eyes. I knew what I had to do next.