Chapter 12: The Date

Barb's POV

She said yes! She said yes! It was amazing! My big risk had paid off. Just had to play it straight and stick to the plan. Ask Poppy out, make conversation, get some emotion in, and finally tell her the truth.

It took me a bit to change in the bathroom, but I got through it. My outfit was a red shirt with claw details, a purple skirt, and a black leather jacket with some wear and tear to it. In rocker terms: perfect for an evening out.

"Alright, I'm ready," Poppy told me from outside.

I opened the door, and I saw her. Poppy looked nice, she had a purple outfit with flame details, a cool headband with a skull and crossbones on it, a bat shaped belt buckle, and two broken chain wristbands on her hands. She looked beautiful to me.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

"You bet," I said, popping my jacket a bit.

The new restaurant down at Twisted Street was only about a half hour away from where we were. It was called Hurricane of Hunger, which was actually more sophisticated than it sounded. When we walked in, we were both astounded by what we saw. It was a giant room, with three stories, huge chandeliers, and a massive Rock mural on the ceiling.

"Epic!" I said, pulling her in close.

We were seated in a booth in the far back, which would help in my case. Wanted some distance from everybody else in case things got emotional.

We got our food about 30 minutes after we got seated. Poppy got the petite filet with extra sauce, and I got the T-bone with some pink inside. It was delicious.

"Mmm," Poppy said, swallowing her food, "this stuff is to die for."

"Yeah," I said, cutting into my food, "best place in town."

"Thanks for bringing me here tonight," she said, joyful.

"Anything for my bestie," I said, drinking a sip of soda.

No sooner did I say "bestie" did she start to look down, sad about something.

"You alright?" I asked, concerned a bit.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said, straightening up, "it's just that the whole time I've been here, you've really helped me out with a lot here. You took me in, taught me rock, helped me out with stuff. I couldn't ask for a better friend."

"Thanks," I said, blushing a little, "your a good one too, Popcorn."

"I know, but that's why I need to ask you something now, and I want you to be honest with me. Is there something else that's bothering you? Anything else at all."

I looked down, sorrow in my voice. This was my chance. I couldn't miss it.

"Well, there is something else I've been wanting to talk to you about," I said, looking nervous.

"It's okay, you can tell me," she said, putting her hand on mine.

I took a deep breath, and gathered myself together.

"Back a few weeks ago, when I said I had a crush on Riff, I may have said that because I didn't want to upset you."

"Why? Why would that upset me?"

"Because I wasn't sure if our friendship would still be there if I did. You're my best friend, and I wasn't sure how you would take it."

"Yeah, I get that," she said, brushing her hair back a bit.

"I know you do. And I know you're a kind, persistent, and loving person who doesn't give up on anyone until the end. That's the best thing about you. I wouldn't want to change that."

"Thanks, Barb," she said, clearing her eyes, "I needed that, especially after everything I've been through."

"I know, and that's another reason I was scared to tell you, I wasn't sure if either of us were ready then. But I know now that I can't keep this in anymore, not now. I'd prefer to tell you now and risk our friendship rather than not at all."

"Barb, what are you saying?"

She leaned in closer, her eyes staring into mine. This was my chance. Now or never.

"Poppy...I...," I started, stammering a bit in sight of her.

I caressed her face. It felt as soft as a cloud, and her eyes brighter than the sun. She was my world, the one I who my heart beat for.

"What is it?" she asked, looking deep into my eyes.

"I...I...I love you, Poppy," I said, softly.

Then I leaned in and kissed her, the girl of my dreams, the queen of my heart.