Chapter 13: The Ambush

Poppy's POV

Barb just kissed me! On the lips! I couldn't believe it, it was true. She did love me after all. Now it all made sense.

As soon as she pulled back from the kiss, she looked at me, her eyes as wide as mine.

"Uh...," I stammered, speechless.

"Oh, man!" Barb said, frantically, "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to upset you, I'm sorry! Oh, sweet sugar!"

"Barb, it's okay!" I told her, patting her on the shoulder, "you have nothing to be upset about."

"You sure?" she asked, nervous.

"Yeah," I told her, "and that's not what's craziest here."

"Then what is?"

"I...I think I love you, too."

We were both just sitting there, speechless, dealing with this huge reality check. Suddenly, the doors burst open in a spray of dust and wind, knocking everyone back. Barb and I got up and headed out to see something terrible.

It was the Pop Trolls! They found me and were attacking!

"Poppy!" Barb said, panicked, "listen to me, you gotta hide!"

"What?"

"Go, I'll distract them!" she said, readying her guitar.

"Barb, you'll die!" I told her, worried about her.

"It'll be worth it for you."

No sooner did she say that did I see a massive projectile headed right towards us.

"LOOK OUT!" I said, shoving her aside.

The projectile crashed down in front of me, knocking me back. As I was flying, my head hit a piece of nearby debris that knocked me out. As I started to fade, I faintly called out to the one who tried to protect me.

"Barb...," I said faintly, passing out.

When I awoke, I was pretty bruised and beat up. There was also a note attached to my spike headband as well. I took it and read it.

Dear Former Queen Poppy, it said, this is a message to you regarding your treachery to your kingdom. I have your friends, both Rock and Pop, captive, and unless you arrive back in Pop Village by midnight, they will be sentenced to brutal punishment. Yours Truly, King Creek.

Creek? I thought, he's behind this whole thing?  Why? Why would he do this?

I was confused and grief stricken as I saw the wreckage of Volcano Rock City. All this because of me, and I didn't even know who I even was anymore. As I knelt there, remorseful of my failures, I started to sing a sorrow tune.

"A million thoughts, in my head. Should I let my heart keep listening?"

"'Cause up 'til now, I've walked the line. Nothing lost, but something missing."

I stood up, sorrow in my voice now.

"I can't decide what's wrong, what's right. Which way should I go?"

As I took my high note, visions of both Branch and Barb appeared before me. The two loves I was torn between.

"If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Ah, oh, yeah!"

"If only I could read the signs in front of me. I could find a way to who I'm meant to be. Ah, oh, if only."

As I walked around, visions of my past began to surround me, reminding me of where I came from, and what I had lost.

"Every step, every word. With every hour I'm falling in."

"To something new, something brave, to someone I have never been."

"I can't decide what's wrong, what's right. Which way should I go?"

As I sung, I felt the conflict inside me, tearing me apart.

"If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Ah, oh, yeah!"

"If only I could read the signs in front of me, I could find a way to who I'm meant to be. Ah, oh, if only, yeah!"

As I knelt near the riverside, I saw my reflection and Barb's, dancing around together  in love and bliss.

"Am I crazy? Maybe we could happen. Yeah."

"Will you still be with me when the magic's all run out?"

I looked up and tears were in my eyes, knowing I had lost the chance.

"If only I knew what my heart was telling me. Don't know what I'm feeling, is this just a dream? Ah, oh, yeah!"

"If only I could read the signs in front of me, I could find a way to who I'm meant to be. Ah, oh."

Then I twirled around, releasing the feelings I had inside me.

"If only, yeah! If only, yeah! If only, yeah!"

"If only! If only. If only."

I finished and pulled myself together, knowing I had to do something to save my friends. Creek had almost doomed us once, I wouldn't let it happen again.