Chapter 18: The Dance

Barb's POV

It was gonna be hard alright, going to the Fall Rock Harvest Fest this time around. I mean, I sent the invite, but I wasn't sure if Poppy could come this time. She was busy with her Queen stuff and me with mine, so I barely got to see her. I was just gonna have to suck it up and go anyway. I was the Queen, after all.

I slipped into my dark red dress with my black jacket, put on my fishnet leggings, attached my best looking earrings, and added in the eyeliner. When I was done, I looked in the mirror. I looked pretty nice for tonight.

"Pretty good looking, huh, Debbie?" I asked, turning to face my pet bat. She was asleep in a ball. Figures.

I grabbed my stuff and headed outside. My friends were waiting on one of the group flyers, so they were glad to see me.

"Looking good, Babs," Carol said, winking a little.

"Thanks Carol," I said, getting situated.

"Your date gonna be there?" Sid Fret asked, slouching.

"Well see," I said, uncomfortable a bit.

It was a bit of a ride to Lava Falls, but it was nice. There was a nice auditorium around there we used for little shindigs like this, and when we got there, it was packed.

"You guys ready?" Riff asked, nervous.

"Yep," I said, getting up. It was gonna be a bit rough, but I could do it.

That's when the door opened to the most surprising sight. It was Poppy, in a red and black sequin dress and a rose in her hair. She looked beautiful.

"Poppy?" I said, walking forward, "what are you-"

"I choose you!" she said, abruptly cutting me off.

"What?" I asked, confused, "what do you mean?"

"Barb, I came here because I realized something. It's that, as surprising as it is, I love you. I really do."

"You mean it?" I said, flustered a bit.

"Yeah," she said, "and I don't care if anyone thinks it's weird, because that doesn't matter. What matters is that I'm with you, and I don't know how it'll turn out, but I'll do whatever I can to make it work for us."

"You sure?" I asked, confused a bit.

She pulled me in and kissed me. I didn't fight it, instead I kissed back. It didn't feel weird to me at all, it just felt amazing.

As soon as she pulled back, she looked at me with a smirk.

"Does that answer your question?" she asked, smiling now.

"Totally," I said, giggling a bit, "So...you care to be my date tonight?"

"Yes! A million times yes!"

We walked in together through the doors, arms locked. Sure, everyone was looking, but we didn't care. We went in and had the time of our lives. We danced, chatted, and even sung "I Kissed a Girl" near the karaoke stand. Poppy and I had one heck of a time there.

"I kissed a girl and I liked it! The taste of her cherry chapstick!"

"I kissed a girl just to try it! I hope my boyfriend don't mind it!"

"It felt so wrong! It felt so right! Don't mean I'm in love tonight!"

"I kissed a girl and I liked it! I liked it!"

After the dance ended, there was one last spot I wanted to show her. We went out the back door and to the Lava Falls, where we sat and admired the view. It was amazing.

"Wow," Poppy said, "it really is beautiful!"

"Yeah, but not half as beautiful as you," I said, smirking.

She giggled at that as we cuddled close together.

"Man, this really has been a crazy ride for us, huh?" she asked, holding me close.

"Yeah, and I really have you to thank for this," I said.

"Oh, stop!" she said, blushing.

"Hey, I'm serious. I mean you helped me go from lonely misguided Rocker to someone who's got a lot to live for. I never would have known that if it wasn't for you. That's why I love you, Popsqueak."

She smiled bright at that last part.

"I love you, too, Barb!"

We kissed each other and just held each other close as we looked into the evening sky. There we were, a pair of girlfriends from two different Troll tribes who loved each other a lot. And to be honest, if it came to me and Poppy, I wouldn't change a thing.