Chapter 12

Emmalin P.O.V

"Okay, so what you're saying, is that you want the Folliero house nursery to be green?" Sofie asks, as I take out the paint brushes.

"Absolutely. A light green would be nice." I reply, and she nods in agreement.

My brothers insisted that we have a nursery at their house, too, so we're busy decorating. I'm all packed for my trip in two days, and I'm so excited! My phone buzzes in my pocket, and I take it out, only to see an unknown number.

"Hello?" I answer with a frown.

"Emmalin Donatello?" A lady's voice speaks through the line. "My name is Jennifer, and we just bought the property where you used to live." I look up at Sofie, and absently take her hand in mine. "We were thinking of building a day-care centre there, and was in the process of knocking down the... House, when we came across a letter that was hidden in the crack of a wall. I believe it is for you... From your mother. I've only read the first paragraph, but it seemed quite personal." Sofie takes the phone away from my ear, and puts it on speaker.

"I finally found you, after discovering you remarried. I'm in New York right now, and was wondering if I could give you the letter?" I thought this over. It was probably some terrible words, but I really wanted to know what she had to say.

"Um, Jennifer, do you mind if I call you back in a bit?"

"Of course, but I'd like you to know that I'm leaving New York tomorrow." I nod my head even though she can't see, and call Vlad.

"Emma? What's wrong? Is the baby giving you trouble?" I smile. Hearing his Russian accent gives me a strange sense of comfort.

"Um no. actually, I wanted to ask you about something." I explain my phone call, and Vlad tells me to send someone instead of getting it myself, so I send Leo.

"Emmalin, I've got the letter." I snap out of my thoughts, and turn to him.

"Thanks, Leo." I turn to Sofie. "It's for both of us. Why don't you read it first?" She nods, and takes the envelope.

I head into the kitchen for some yogurt, and speak to Martha for a bit. She has two sons, who now work for Antonio.

My phone starts cursing from the living room, and I mentally curse whoever is on the other line for make me walk all the way. My mood immediately lifts when I see Nick calling.

"Hello?"

"Sweetheart, I just wanted to check up on you." He does this a lot, but I don't mind. I begin to explain everything about the letter, but before I can, I hear Sofie sobbing from the other room. "Why is Sofie crying?" Nick asks.

"Um, I'll explain later, I need to check on her. I love you, bye!" I hang up before he can answer, and waddle to where she's sitting.

"Sofie? What's wrong?" She can't speak through the tears, so I just hold her. Eventually, she stops crying, and I wipe away her tears. "You okay?" She nods, and puts her brave face back on.

"Here. I think you should read it when you're at home." I nod slowly, and take it out of her hands.

"It's getting late, and I need to finish packing. I'll see you before I leave, okay?" Sofie nods, and gives me a hug.

When I get back to our house, I don't even change my clothes, before opening the letter, and reading it.

Dear Emmalin,

It's me, your mother. Hopefully, you never see this letter, and if you do, then there must be a very good reason. I have a confession to make. One, that above all the abuse and heartache I've caused you, I hope you can forgive.