Chapter 3: To Teach a Prince

Third Person POV

Danny and his friends currently stood in the center of a grand library. Shelves filled with books of all sizes and colours reached far up to the ceiling and it was impossible to see the tops of them. The floor was lined with purple and black checkered carpeting while the walls were painted silver. Large lanterns shaped like upside-down goblets hung from the ceiling and fully illuminated the library. There were tables and chairs made of black coloured oak scattered about the room for anyone to sit at and read. Floating about the room was a familiar ghost covered in bandages.

"Ghost Writer!" Fright Knight called out, waving his arms.

Ghost Writer whipped around to face the new comers. Half of his face was wrapped in bandages and his glasses were cracked. His right arm was in a sling and his left leg was in a cast. He had a tall stack of books tucked under his un-injured arm as multiple other books floated around him. At the sight of the four who had just entered, Ghost Writer frowned and floated to the floor, setting the books under his arm on a nearby table.

After the injured Ghost Writer had crashed into Danny's coronation almost three months ago, he had been in a coma for the past two months and only recently awoke. He decided to stay at the castle so his wounds could heal and was using the library as a temporary realm since his mansion had been destroyed. The book loving ghost claimed he had no memory of how he ended up at the castle, just that he felt drawn towards it after the attack.

He walked over to the group, bowing slightly in front of Fright Knight, saying a quick greeting of, "Your Majesty." His eye drifted to Danny as he straightened his back. He grimaced slightly as he muttered, "and Highness."

Danny raised an eyebrow at Ghost Writer's blatant rudeness towards him; it seemed that Ghost Writer wasn't completely over his defeat at Danny's hands and winding up in Walker's prison. "Nice to see that you're back on your feet," Danny said, a slight edge in his voice. 

Ghost Writer adjusted his cracked glasses, scowling at Danny. A strained smile appeared on his face as Ghost Writer turned his attention back on the Ghost King, placing a hand on his chest. "And how may I help you, King Galahad?" he asked, the obviously forced smile on his face growing wider.

The former ghost knight placed a hand on Danny's shoulder, a smile appearing on his face as he said, "I would like to request your assistance in teaching the young Prince the history of the Ghost Zone."

The three teen's eyes widened as they stared up at the Ghost King. "Uh, Fright?" Danny began, picking up the hand on his shoulder and removing it, "when you said you'd teach me the ropes of the kingdom, I didn't think you meant it literally."

The Ghost King tilted his head at the young halfa. "What did you think I meant?" he asked.

Danny shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck, "You know, kingly stuff like... making laws or something. Not a history lesson," the teen offered. He looked to his friends for support but they just shrugged in response. Danny frowned, looking back to Fright Knight. 

The Ghost King sighed, ushering the three teens into the room. He sat them down at the table where Ghost Writer had placed his books and pulled out a chair for said ghost to also sit. "Learning the past is important to help move the Ghost Zone into the future," Fright Knight explained as he picked up one of the many books on the table and flipped it open, "so we will start from the beginning."

Danny, Sam and Tucker all groaned. "Of course school would find a way to follow us into the Ghost Zone," Tucker whined, sinking down in his chair.

A glint appeared in Fright Knight's eyes as a smile grew on his face. "Oh that is a brilliant idea!" he exclaimed, "I am your teacher and you are my students." His eyes drifted to Ghost Writer who was just staring off into space. "And Sir Poe can be my assistant! He is quite knowledgeable about the history of the Ghost Zone."