Chapter 4: History Lessons

Third Person POV

Danny groaned as he sat up, rubbing his head as he felt a pounding migraine behind his eyes. He rapidly blinked his eyes, trying to fight off the pain as black spots appeared in his vision. He heard a grunt coming from his right and turned to see Sam slowly sitting up and placing the heels of her hands on her temples.

"I feel like I just ate thirty Blood Blossoms," a voice said on Danny's left. The halfa turned to see his techno-geek friend, Tucker, sprawled out on his back with one arm draped over his eyes.

Relieved that his friends appeared to be alright, Danny turned his attention to their current location. The last thing he remembered was staring into the shimmering white abyss that was Nocturne's hand and then... nothing. 

The teens appeared to be in some kind of grand hall that had been long forgotten by time. The walls that once seemed to be white were a dull grey and covered in cracks. The stone floors were crumbling and there were holes surrounding them. There were no other defining features in the hall aside from a glowing ball of light at opposite end of the hall from where the three teens sat.

"Interesting," a voice boomed from above the teens, "I certainly didn't expect to end up here." The young ghost hunters looked up to see a starry night sky blocking their view.

"Where exactly is here, Nocturne?" Danny asked, getting to his feet. Sam soon followed suit as the halfa helped Tucker to his feet. Danny still didn't fully trust Nocturne and had his defenses on high alert, but he had a feeling that Nocturne was genuinely trying to help Danny; in his own weird way.

The Elder Spirit shrunk in size until he was about as tall as an average human adult. He stood in front of the teens and lowered his head gently, before turning to face his confused audience. Throwing his arms wide, a grin appeared on his pink-tinted lips. "Welcome to the Solar Lunox, the realm of the former Elder Spirit of Light, Lumen," he declared, a twinkle in his eyes. Though his cheerful expression faded into one of thought as he placed a hand on his chin and muttered, "Well, not actually, since this all just in your minds."

Seeming to have regained his composure, Tucker groaned, "Awe come on, another Elder Spirit? How many of you are there?" The technogeek's eyes widened as he remembered his asking of that question is what got them in their current situation. He watched Nocturne worriedly as he prepared himself for another wave of discomfort, but to his surprise the starry spirit merely rolled his eyes.

"To be accurate there are, or at least were, eight of us," Nocturne began as he increased in size, holding out his hand with his palm facing the floor. His talons hung limp as eight orbs of starry goop dripped from his hand, four gold in colour and the other four a shimmering black. With a wave of his other hand, four chairs shimmered into existence behind each of the beings in the room. Nocturne quickly collapsed into his chair, motioning for the teens to do the same.

Danny, Sam and Tucker looked to each other before sitting down, with Tucker quickly taking the seat, Sam sitting down slowly with her eyes glued to Nocturne and Danny floating into his seat, crossing his legs underneath him.

The Elder Spirit of Mind held out his hand and the ball of white light at the end of the hall zipped to the center of his palm. "To give a quick summary," Nocturne started to explain as he flexed his hand, "in the beginning there was the Creator. The Creator gave life to two realms, your human dimension and the ghost dimension." As Nocturne continued to speak, the ball of light in his palm grew bigger. As it reached the size of a baseball, four smaller balls of light suddenly broke away from it, with two that shone brightly as the other two appeared to struggle to even stay lit. The four tiny sparks of what remained of the original light source began to orbit around it, like a small solar system.