A New Plan

The halls of the jedi temple were empty, a fitting companion for Kaden's sorrowful departure from her home. It was within these walls she grew up and had found her true purpose- at least, what she had thought her true purpose was.

And here she was, with nothing but the clothes on her back, leaving the only life she had known, the ideals she'd have died for, the family that she lived for. Her body still felt cold from the absence of Obi Wan's arms around her, each heartbeat in her chest reminding her she would never see him again.

Did she really want to leave?

No. Kaden wanted anything but to leave her home, to be forced to live a different life when she had been so familiar in this one. She wanted anything but to say goodbye to the person she loved more than anything in the world. Still, she knew the strongest reason that made her hesitate was exactly the reason she needed to leave.

As she neared the end of the temple, peering into the skyline of Coruscant, Kaden took a deep breath. Swiping a tear from her eye, she steadied her emotions, and concentrated on her present. This was it.

"Kaden?" A familiar friendly voice called after her approaching the top steps of the temple entrance, startling Kaden immensely. She shrieked, jumping back before she recognized the face of her old friend, Anakin Skywalker. "What in the world are you doing up right now? It's in the middle of the night."

"Anakin," she breathed, still trying to steady her frightened heart. "Why are you up? Where did you just come from?"

He shrugged, looking around. "I, uh-," he glanced towards the entrance of the temple, where he was headed, "You know, it's not important," he was clearly hiding something. "Are you being sent on a mission? I wasn't informed of any separatist conflict right now." Anakin was puzzled at the sight of the lone jedi he had known. If Kaden was going on a mission, she would have had more with her than just her clothes and her lightsaber. More possibly so, she wouldn't be alone.

At this point, Kaden knew there was no point in lying. Her friend was particularly good at sensing untruthfulness. "I'm not going on a mission," she shook her head, finding it hard to meet his eyes. "I'm... leaving, Ani," she shrugged, accepting her truth.

Brows raised high, Anakin shook his head, denying her confession. "That's outrageous, you just got back. The council said Obi Wan would supervise you and-,"

"I know," she cut him off. "The council isn't making me leave, I'm doing it on my own."

Anakin stayed silent, troubled by the sudden realization that stood before him. Struggling to find the right words, the jedi was dumbfounded. "I don't understand."

"Only Master Yoda knows... and Obi Wan," she choked, "I can't stay here, it could badly injure the republic's chances against the separatists."

"That doesn't make any sense, you're one of our best fighters."

"It's not that simple- there's more conflict involved and-," she trailed off, not knowing how to describe her situation well without giving anything away. Anakin stared at her, waiting for her answer. Studying her face closely, he couldn't help but notice the red flush of her face, a particular glow he was only used to seeing on Padme after-

"You were staying with Obi Wan," he said matter-of-factly.

"Yes, he was supervising me for the time being-," Kaden's voice became small. She prayed for Anakin to ignore the nerves, the spike in her heartbeat at the mention of Obi Wan's name.

But her heartbeat didn't matter. Anakin had raised an eyebrow, glancing to the side of Kaden's neck, where a purple dark spot peered just above the hem of her shirt. As she noticed his staring, Kaden attempted to adjust her outfit, but Anakin pushed her hand away, pulling her shirt to the side even more.