Choices of Fate

Anakin didn't seem to realize the nerves that were pent up inside Kaden's chest as they made their way towards Obi Wan's room; he was too focused on their victory with the council. Sure, she had earned her right to stay in the order, to make herself fit in more so than she had before, and to assist the republic in battle once again- but that hardly meant that her inner conflict with Obi Wan could be solved, fixed, gone. In fact, she didn't want it to be gone. Her thoughts were haunted by the night they had spent with one another, the few kisses they had shared that brought her to heaven.

"Kaden, are you even listening to me?" Anakin had been talking, but Kaden was guilty of allowing his words to pass right through her, not even attempting to process what he was saying.

"Sorry, no," she admitted, her mind still focused on the sight of Obi Wan blowing straight past her in the council room.

"You've got to calm down," He started, "If the council sees you this upset everytime Obi Wan decides to ignore you, you're definitely not going to stay."

"That's not the only reason, Ani."

"That's all your thinking about, Kaden, I can sense it so strongly it's unbelievable." Anakin's comment had hurt, but Kaden decided not to argue with it, given it's truth. Anakin was too strong with the force to be fooled by a lie coming from Kaden.

As they arrived at Obi Wan's quarters, the door opened nearly immediately, as if Obi Wan knew they were coming. His gaze was immediately captured by Kaden, as he nearly ignored Anakin's presence altogether.

"Hi," Kaden said, her quiet and timid.

"What changed your mind?" He asked her, their focus heavy on each other. Anakin shifted his feet, a smirk on his face.

"A lot of things," Kaden told him, reaching out to touch his arm. He flinched back just suddenly, his gaze averting to Anakin.

"It's fine Obi Wan," Anakin snickered, pushing past him to enter his room, "I know everything."

Panicked, Obi Wan rushed Kaden in after him, and slammed the door shut. His eyes were wide with shock and nerve. "What?"

"Not everything," Kaden shook her head, soon after sending a cautionary gaze towards Anakin. He didn't seem to process it's meaning.

"Yes, everything," he was intent on becoming a part of the secret Kaden and Obi Wan knew to be so gentle. Kaden knew that Anakin found amusement in knowing of his former master's transgressions, and she also knew that if he pushed him too hard, Obi Wan would make sure Anakin paid. "You aren't great at leaving a clean canvas, Obi Wan."

"Anakin," Kaden's voice rang in unison with Obi Wan, their voices colliding with the same sense of outrage and panic.

"I'm just saying," Anakin continued, taking a seat on Obi Wan's bed. "Don't worry, Master, I won't say a word about it." Taking a breath, Obi Wan shook his head, and paced across his room. Catching Kaden's eyesight, they held their gaze, Obi Wan looking at her as if she were a ghost.

"Leave us, Anakin," Obi Wan told Anakin plainly, earning an eye roll from his old apprentice. Still, he obeyed leaving the room after gesturing a goodbye to Kaden. Now, they were completely alone.

Standing completely across the room from one another, the awkwardness in the room was thick. Obi Wan kept glancing at Kaden, and then down to his feet, unable to quite process the fact that she was really there.

"It's like you're annoyed that I'm here," Kaden spoke. "I found a way to stay, Obi Wan."

"I'm more pleased in the world to have you stay here, darling," Obi Wan said sternly, the endearing name making Kaden's heart jump. "But I don't know if it's wise for us to even see one another after-," He trailed off, shaking his head, "I don't know."

"You were so against me leaving."

"Obviously last night changed quite a bit, Kaden."

Kaden took a breath, "I know. But I don't regret it at all...When I was trying to leave, Anakin stopped me. He figured out why I was leaving, and he convinced me to stay," Kaden explained, "Just because we feel something, doesn't mean it has to bring us down, Obi Wan. We can use that to make us stronger."

"I doubt the council will see eye to eye on that, Kaden....You're not speaking like a Jedi. Don't forget your prophecy."

"The council isn't part of this, and my prophecy isn't going to be met if I'm smart enough." Kaden shook her head, approaching Obi Wan slowly, until they were close enough to just slightly touch. "Love isn't a crime, and leaving the Jedi order is most certainly worse for my affinity to... well, the darkside, Obi Wan.""

"We made vows," Obi Wan turned away from her, shaking his head, trying desperately to clear his mind. The way Kaden was speaking was scaring him, the way she was opposing the Jedi Code, and proposing to use emotion- it sounded wrong. "If we don't stick to them, it makes a life in the Order much harder to manage. Breaking them here makes it much harder for you to not become bitter and lustful of something else." 

"I know," Kaden admitted, "I just-," her face fell towards the floor, "I know I can handle it."

Obi Wan replied with a conflicted stare. Could they manage living a double life? The tools were right in front of them: Anakin being Kaden's new master, and the new updates to help Kaden acclimate. Could they really risk that on top of Kaden's spoke prophecy?

No. He couldn't allow it. Bringing his attention down to the floor, he fought hard to get the words out. "We can't, Kaden. It's not right."

"But-,"

"From now on, we only speak when we have to. When we're in battle, or dealing with Jedi matters." Obi Wan said, turning away from her, and walking towards his bed, where he took a seat.

"Are you serious?"

He hesitated, meeting Kaden's bright green eyes, glowing with hurt. He replied honestly, shaking his head"No."

Kaden's face flushed red. She couldn't believe the contradicting words she was hearing from Obi Wan.

"You can't just suggest something like that and then decide to blow it off," Kaden shot back, her anger overcoming her.

"I'm sorry," He shook his head, "I just don't know what to do."

"That makes two of us." Kaden looked at the floor, feeling her insides become heavy and lost. Taking her chin gently with his fingertips, Obi Wan lifted her face up to look back at him. Her uncertainty had made her weak, on top of the overpowering weight of Obi Wan's soft gaze. He was just as concerned as Kaden, but like always, Obi Wan was much better at hiding it.

"Kay-," he started, his voice alone enough to comfort her. "It'll always be the two of us."

Their noses touched as they held one another, just close enough to feel like home. Overcome with want, Kaden inched her lips towards his. Unfortunately, the gesture had come too late, as Anakin barged back into the room.

"Sorry to interrupt, Master," he had seemed to enjoy his new knowledge of Obi Wan's secret too much. "But your forces have been called to Ryloth immediately. You both need to leave now."

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone! So sorry this was a short one but I've been planning ahead for the next chapter, which is going to be kind of huge and involved. Prepare your hearts and souls :3

And thank you for reading!!