Back to the Start

It had been a while since Kaden had hot-wired a ship. It had been a while since she had flown to the outer rim alone. It wasn't at all what she wanted, her eyes full of tears as she kept her hand fixed on the ship's controls, but it was the only choice she had. Kaden was now a war criminal to the galactic republic.

Her destination was completely unknown. The ship she had stolen not only didn't have an updated system, but the navigation feature was completely broken. Without any other choice, Kaden flew until she came across a planet that might seem inhabitable. Preferably, she'd go somewhere she could stay under the radar, only using violence as a means of protecting herself. She was tempted, now more than ever, to use the darkness she had let loose within her, but like always, Kaden felt conflicted.

I love you. Obi Wan's last words to her, the words she had ignored, echoed in her head like a nightmare's lullaby. The words gave her haunting comfort but incredible pain. She felt herself going soft at the thought of him, and raked her mind away from the weakness. He didn't help you, Kaden thought to herself, he chose the Order, and he would have no matter what.

Love wasn't shit to the Jedi.

Coming up ahead of her, Kaden spotted a planet, red and swampy, large craning bogs and smoking lands scattered across its atmosphere. "Well," she started, "We're not going there."

Unfortunately, her ship had made different plans. Though she tried to veer away from the planet, Kaden's ship was pulled forwards towards the dark and gloomy land. The strength of the pull couldn't have been any sort of gravity, this she knew; the force was too strong. Kaden was in trouble.

As she landed on the planet with a forceful lurch, Kaden took a breath as she realized where she had landed. The red and mysterious planet was the one she had only heard of in legends, Dathomir.

As the shaft of her stolen ship opened, Kaden found herself face to face with one being she had no desire to meet.

Maul himself, the sith lord she had only known from stories, from descriptions, stood directly at the foot of the ship, his face pulling into a grimace. Grabbing her saber quickly, Kaden prepared herself.

"There really isn't any need for that," Maul told her, "I've been expecting you."

"How have you been expecting me?" Kaden growled, "You're supposed to be dead."

"And you're supposed to be a Jedi Knight, aren't you?" Maul laughed, knowing he had struck a chord with Kaden, "Lady Morristan, I believe we have much in common."

Something clicked in her mind as Maul spoke, his suggestive tone making her angry. "If you're trying to insinuate that we could in any way be allies, you are gravely mistaken," Kaden spat.

"An enemy of my enemy is my friend," he told her, "That's why I made sure you'd land here."

Kaden paused for a moment, feeling fire build in her chest. She simply couldn't believe the conversation she was having. "Obi Wan is not my enemy."

"Oh, I believe you're very wrong." Maul chuckled, his gaze intense and focused. "You see, Kaden, if the Jedi have labeled you a war criminal - which they have- they'll already have sent Kenobi after you... you do understand that don't you? You'll be our little friend's personal bounty to the Jedi Order. You're a mess he created and a mess he has to fix."

"I'm not his mess," Kaden snapped, her anger overpowering her.

"You're letting your anger control you," Maul remarked, "That's good. Channel it, it'll make you stronger."

"I'm not-," Kaden growled, but stopped herself, knowing that his words were right. She didn't want Maul to be correct, but she knew he was. "I'm not going to help you fight him."

Maul sighed, "You're wasting not just my time, but you're own. You've already chosen the dark side. The sooner you accept that, the sooner we can get started."

"I will not be helping you!"

"I was hoping you'd be sensible," Maul pouted, "It would have made this ever so much easier."

Kaden paused, but before she could react, Maul was forced to pull her through the air towards him. She screamed angrily, trying to fight the gesture, but it was too strong.

From behind her, a figure emerged, grabbing her arms and tying them behind her.

"Thank you, my apprentice," Maul nodded to the figure, "Now, let's get started with our bait." Slamming Kaden to the ground, Maul took the hilt of his saber, and railed the end of it against Kaden's head, knocking her out cold.

"Take her back to the cave, and make sure she stays under. She might escape if we grant her the luxury of consciousness."

O[\\\\\\(O):::<=======================

Obi Wan was as unfocused as he had ever been, his whole mind occupied by the haunting memory of Kaden descending the steps of the Jedi temple. Still, he called his mind into focus when he entered the council hall, taking a deep breath as he approached the rest of the Jedi Masters.

"You called to see me, Masters?" His voice remained calm, but he knew why he was there. After returning to the temple the previous night and informing the rest of the Jedi that Kaden had escaped with her saber, the council was extremely troubled with Obi Wan.

"A dilemma, you have presented to us, Master Kenobi," Yoda started, shaking his head, "A dedicated Jedi, you have always been."

"-But we have been given reason to believe you don't take this life as seriously as you once did," Master Windu scoffed lightly. The comment made Obi Wan angry, but still, he understood. "The Jedi Code should be sacred to each one of us. As Kaden Morristan made a point to go against all we believe in, she seemed to easily drag you into her mistakes willingly."

Obi Wan's mouth gaped. "I- understand my transgressions," he started, "but-."

"Pardon me, Master Kenobi," Shaak Ti cut him off, "But we're not in the mood for excuses. That's not why we called you here."

"Then... why have you?" Obi Wan's eyebrow lifted. The way the council was treating him made him feel ashamed and angry, but underneath the emotion he figured that he deserved it.

"We're not taking the escape of Lady Morristan lightly, and we need her to be found and brought back to Coruscant as a prisoner of the Republic. She's too dangerous to be left out there." Windu shrugged, "Being as this dilemma has caused a rift between your dedication to this lifestyle, we all agree that this assignment should be yours."

"Bring the girl back, and we'll know for sure what you deem important," Plo Koon finished.

Obi Wan's face burned red, his chest tightening with anger. Still, he found the strength to nod stiffly, and give one last remark before excusing himself. "Very well," he shot, leaving the hall.