Midnight

The clock struck midnight just as I opened my creaky door. It was old and heavy, like most of the mansion. I creep out, letting the moonlight flash against my pale skin. "What are you doing still up?"

I jumped at the sound of Lexter's voice. I worked for a rich family. The Hanson's. They had multiple houses and lived in the mansion. I worked for them to keep maintenance at night. My job was to make sure there were no robbers at night. 

"It's my job." I whispered. I didn't normally talk. It wasn't proper. Most times I stayed in my room during the daytime to rest. I had only talked to Lexter, the oldest son of the family, a few times before. "Why are you still awake?"

Lexter gave me a smile. His light brown hair was a mess from it's normal, brushed and slicked back position. His green eyes were studying me. "I like the night." He said. "I think it's beautiful."

I nodded. "It is beautiful." I said, glancing to the tall windows that led out to the forest surrounding the mansion. I have always loved the night. The outdoors. It's fascinating. I looked back to Lexter, noticing that he had been staring at me.

"What do you do at nights?" He asked once he realized that he had my attention.

I looked back out the window. "I patrol the mansion." I said simply. I made sure the garden had been watered, make sure the horses are sleeping well, and make sure that all the dishes are cleaned. The pay is good.

But I did more than just house work. I made friends with animals in the forest. Wolves, foxes, deer. I have a connection with them. "May I come with?" 

"What?" I asked slowly. "You want to come with me?"

"Yes." Lexter said. "I want to see what it is like."

I paused. My experience with Lexter was limited. His head was normally somewhere else. Whether it was in a book or if it was in a different world. Why he wanted to come watch me do chores was a mystery.

But I didn't tell him no. 

We walked down the grand staircases together. I set my gaze on the floor, but occasionally I would see him look over at me. "Your eyes are pretty." He said as we got to the bottom floor. "They remind me of the night sky."

I looked over at him. I had been told that my eyes were beautiful before. My papa used to call them pools of the night sky. He believed that I had been blessed by creatures in the night. That was before he had died.

"Thank you." I said quietly. "Your eyes are pretty too."

Papa had taught me over and over that if somebody complimented me, I had to compliment them too. 

"How come I've never seen you around?" Lexter asked as I started walking towards the stables to make sure the horses were sleeping alright. "You don't sleep all day, do you?"

I shook my head. "I got to sleep at 8:00 AM when I am sure that everybody else is awake. I get up at 4:00 PM sharp and am at work at midnight exactly."

"Why midnight?" Lexter asked. 

I stopped walking as I looked at him. "Because it's the darkest hour."