Moonlit Night

I was leaning against the door post, staring out the window at the full moon that was in the sky. It was beautiful. I tensed as I felt somebody behind me. I turned to see Lexter. I was slightly surprised he was awake.

"You have good hearing." He said, standing next to me.

I looked to the ground. I knew that Lexter had slept during most of the day. I had heard his parents shouting at him. "Why are you still awake?" I whispered. "Your parents weren't happy last time."

Lexter rolled his eyes. "I could care less around what my parents think." He said. "Want to go out on a horse ride?"

I bit my lip. I had no idea how to ride a horse. I also didn't want to get yelled at for horse riding in the middle of the night. That wasn't my job. "I don't think that's a good idea." I said. "I can't ride a horse."

"I can." Lexter said. "I know how to put take care of them too.  You have nothing to worry about."

I looked to the ground. "Okay." I said finally. "But not for long."

"Fair." Lexter said. We walked outside and to the stables. I folded my arms over my chest nervously. Lexter led me in the through the side door and walked over to one of the stalls. "This is my horse, Dusty." Dusty was light brown with a white splotch at his left eye. 

I reached up and let Dusty smell my hand before I pet him lightly. Lexter unlocked the gate that locked Dusty's stall and took his reins, gently leading him out. I shut the door to the stall as Lexter led Dusty out of the stable.

Once we were out, he turned to look at me. "Do you think you can get on on your own?" He asked.

I looked up at Dusty. He was tall. His head extended to my height. But I could probably boost myself up. "I'll probably be fine." I said.

Lexter nodded. He boosted himself up, throwing his leg around Dusty. I bit my lip, realizing I'd have a much harder time trying to do that. I looked down at the clothes I was wearing. It was only a t shirt and shorts. 

"Is this okay for riding?" I asked slowly.

"Do you need help getting up?" Lexter asked. He flipped his leg to the other side and dropped from the horse. "I can lift you up."

"Okay." I said quietly. 

Lexter stepped behind me and put his hands on my hips. "Ready?" He asked. I nodded. "One, two, three." He lifted me up. I pushed my leg over Dusty, gripping the saddle to keep on. "You alright?"

"I'm good." I said as Lexter boosted himself up. He reached and grabbed the rein as I put my arms around him to hold on. I could feel his chest going up and down as he breathed. 

"Let's ride."