The Morning

I squinted against the pale light of the sunrise. I had always loved dawn. It was beautiful in a way that the night couldn't be. It was as if the light was washing away all the dark. 

I could feel the heat of the sun against my skin as I turned to go inside. "You're really still up?" Lexter asked, leaning against the wall as I came into the mansion.

"Uh." I hesitated. "Why are you awake?"

Lexter shrugged. "Couldn't sleep." He said. "I've been awake since you abandoned me."

"Your parents are going to kill me if they figure out that I'm the one that kept you awake." I muttered, rubbing my brow.

"I don't think they'll kill you. They need you." 

I crossed my arms, looking to the ground. "I should probably get out of here. I have to go to bed anyways." I said.

Lexter looked over me. "Did you ever tell me your name?"

"It's Lou." I said. "Err, that's what my papa used to call me. It's actually Ajambo."

"How did you go from Ajambo to Lou?" Lexter asked slowly. "I mean, like, my nickname is Lex because my name is Lexter."

My face heated up. "Lou was my mother's name." 

Lexter frowned and set his gaze on the ground. "Sorry." He mumbled. "Will I be able to see you tomorrow?"

I nodded and turned away without another word.