Torn Apart

It was at least ten nights before I saw Lexter again. I slipped out of my room once again as the clock struck 12:00 AM to see him sitting on the stairs.

At first, I didn't want to approach him, worried that I'd only cause more of a mess. After a while I decided to silently step towards him. "Hey." I said quietly.

Lexter looked up at me. "Hi." He said. "We haven't talked in a while."

"Lexter, you shouldn't be up." I said quickly. "You'll get in trouble again and I could lose this job."

"Oh please, Lou, he was lying about firing you." He said. 

I balled my hands into fists. "You have no idea what this job means to me. I need this to live.  I don't even want to risk getting fired again." I hissed. "And don't you dare call me Lou."

Lexter stood up to face me. "Why not?" He asked angrily. "Were those few nights it?"

"It?"

"You don't have friends."

"I don't need friends." I scoffed. "I'm completely fine on my own."

Lexter gave me a look. "Then why are you even talking to me?" He asked. "I was out here waiting for you, Ajambo. But you're the one that talked to me first."

"You should go back to sleep." She said. "I am not losing my job because you're goofing off."

Lexter stood up and glared at me. "Fine." He said. "Goodnight."