The Wolves

"So, you just do this for fun?" Lexter asked as we walked through the forest behind the mansion. "Without shoes?" 

I looked down at my bare feet crunching against the old dirt path. "Yeah." I said simply as I looked over at him. "Want to meet some of my friends?"

Lexter smiled. "Sure."

I waved for him to follow me. We went off the trail and to a small clearing from the trees. I cupped my hands around my mouth and howled loudly. A moment later I could just barely hear the pattering of wolf paws on the ground.

I looked over my shoulder at Lexter. His eyes were wide. He looked completely terrified. "Calm down." I said lightly, reaching for his hand. "They won't hurt us."

Lexter nodded slowly as the wolves closed in. He took my hand and I pulled him over. I kneeled down and Lexter got own next to me. "Let them smell you." I said.

The wolves walked over and started sniffing Lexter. He looked like a statue as they judged him. Finally, they backed up. "What did that do?" Lexter asked quietly.

"The wolves have a sensor in them." I said. "Well, that's what I like to call it."

Lexter pressed his lips together as he looked over at the wolves.  "What exactly does the sensor do?"

"They smell somebody new to them. Depending on their smell, they can tell if that person is trying to hurt them or not." 

"How do you know that?" Lexter asked.

I shrugged a little. "I can sort of understand them."

Lexter's eyes widened, but his mouth kept shut. I reached my hand out and my closet friend, Pearl, as I called her, stepped forwards, putting her head under my hand. "This is Pearl. She's the only one I've named because I can always remember her." I said lightly.

Lexter smiled as he reached his hand out to touch Pearl. She stood still as his hand pet her. "She was the wolf that found me when my father passed."

The smile on Lexter's face resided. "What happened to him?"

I frowned. Much like me, my father worked at the mansion. I didn't see him often though. Our schedules differed too much. "He died." I said finally.

Pearl could feel my discomfort and walked to my side, pushing her head against me to make me laugh. I wrapped my arms around her neck and pulled her into me. She was like my best friend. Even though we were different spices. 

"We should probably get going." I said, standing up from the ground.

"Why?" Lexter asked, standing up with me.

I shrugged a little bit. "You need to go to sleep." I said quietly. "I have a job to do still."

"Do my parents know?" He asked suddenly. "Do they know what you do?"

"No." I said slowly. "They don't need to know. It's my job to take care of the house during the night."

"Your job is to patrol the house. Not to take care of the house."

I paused, looking over at him. "Let's just get back to the house."