Chapter Fifteen - Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

[Sasuke's P.O.V]

"Please don't neglect your friendship with [Name] just because we're dating."

Sakura's words had totally caught me off guard, and after dropping her home after our date at the zoo, I spent the drive home pondering her words. Neglect [Name]? Pssh, she literally pushed me away at every chance she received. Besides, she had Suigetsu now, and he could easily fill the space I'd left behind. 

Right?

"When was the last time [Name] and I actually hung out together?" 

The zoo date didn't count as we brought our own person to hang out with, and I tried to recall when we'd last had a heart to heart conversation. It then struck me that we hadn't spent time together for a couple of weeks, with frequent phone calls being the only string our friendship was hanging on to. 

But still, it didn't feel right. I mean, for years I'd tormented her with my, um, habits, and she'd always taken me in without turning me away once. It was a wonder that she didn't get sick of me and kick me out of her house- maybe I'd been overlooking [Name] and her help. Maybe I was taking her friendship for granted; and when I'd finally gotten somewhat settled with a decent woman, all because of her, I'd completely cut her out of my life. 

I suddenly felt terrible.

"Hey, [Name], it's Sasuke." 

When I was getting ready for bed, I embraced Sakura's request and called up [Name], who answered me with a snort.

"No shit Einstein, it's not like I have this modern thing called caller ID on my phone. What's up?" I silently let out a breath of relief; she didn't sound as angry as you'd expect someone in her position to be. In fact, she sounded happy.

"Just- wanted to see if you're available on Saturday," I said in a jolted voice, much to my surprise.

"Oh- aren't you doing anything with Sakura?" she asked, making me wince. Did I really spend that much time with Sakura?

"Uh..." [Name] laughed over the line, and I noticed the absence of her bouncing around her bed.

"Sasuke you silly, what would Sakura think if you chose to hang out with me over a romantic date with her?" She sounded like she was crying tears of disbelief at my stupidity, and it didn't sit well with me.

Well, she'd be relieved, for one thing, I thought grimly, pushing the thought away. "Well, we haven't hung out in ages. And dates get boring when they become routine." She chuckled.

"Whatever, whatever," she sighed. I could hear her smiling. "Ah... I... kinda have plans with Suigetsu. Maybe we can reschedule?" I winced at her reply; ouch. Not once had [Name] ever rejected my requests to hang out, and I mean never.

"I'm kinda tied up with work until December," I said in a slightly downcast voice, genuinely feeling let down. "But that's fine. What are you and Suigetsu doing?" She began ranting excitedly about running a track at the park with him and challenging him to do it again next week, which seemed totally out of character for her.

"... like, I can't lose to him! So, starting tomorrow, I'm gonna start training! That is, if my legs can function," she chuckled. "That track was pure hell- I had to soak in the bath today because my calves were so tight. Ugh."

"So is that why you're not jumping around like usual?" I joked.

"How did you know?" I laughed at her comment.

"Aw, come on, [Name]. Every time we talk on the phone you're always jumping on your bed. Isn't that right?"

"How do you know?!"

"Maybe because you're always panting and cheering?" I smirked, earning a groan from her. "Unless you're up to something else?"

"Haha, very funny. But yes, my legs are currently unable to jump around or do any form of bed hopping, so that's why I'm not hyperacting around. It's cute that you noticed though, haha." 

I was taken aback by her words, but figuring that it was [Name] who was talking, I guessed she didn't mean it in any sort of romantic way. After all, she'd hooked me up with Sakura, and shipped us to death. Besides- her version of "cute" didn't exactly line up with what women her age thought as "cute."

"Hyperacting?"

"It's a word!"

"Is not." As our conversation wore on, I couldn't help but feel a little proud of myself for noticing her lack of activity, and attributed it all to how close we were.

Hn. I doubt Suigetsu would've picked up on that.

Wait, what?

Woah. What? Who cares?

"Ugh." I did a double take when I realised that I was still on the phone with [Name], and reeled away as she let out a dazed "Huh?"

"It's nothing. Nothing," I said in a reassuring voice. "I just hope we can hang out sometime." Hang out? Really?

She chuckled.

"You sound as if I'd replace you," she said lightly. "Don't worry, you're irreplaceable. My little cockatooidus."

My heart skipped a beat, but I ignored it. Nope. No way. No.

But I really do miss her stupidity.