Chapter Seventeen - Sakura's Words of Wisdom

"Are you ready to get thrashed?"

"Oh, you know it." The next day, Suigetsu and I were standing at the entrance of the Konoha Park trail, ready to race once again. He chuckled at my reply and said, "That's not very good for your self motivation, is it?" I jumped around on the spot, huffing and puffing to get myself in the zone.

"Well, it's better to accept my fate now rather than later, right?" Suigetsu rolled his eyes.

"Riiiight.

As soon as we started, I felt happy at the fact that I was actually able to keep up with him for once.

"RACE YOU TO THE TOP!" I cried, breaking into a sprint. I swear, I'd never felt more elated in my life than when I was running with Suigetsu, who was laughing and chasing me from behind.

It felt amazing. I was alive.

***

[Sasuke's P.O.V]

"Oh, hi- are you here for Sakura?" 

I awkwardly nodded as Sakura's father greeted me the next morning. He nodded, and called up the stairs, "Honey! Sasuke's here!" A few minutes later, Sakura was rushing down the stairs, and her father dismissed himself to give us some privacy.

"Sasuke? I thought you and [Name] were going to hang out today?" Still in her pajamas, Sakura led me out onto the front porch of their house, shutting the door behind her. I scratched the back of my head as she beckoned me to sit with her on the bench outside.

"Uh, well, she was busy, so I came here to see if you wanted to do anything," I said, stiffly sitting beside her. She yawned and stretched her arms, making me wince. "Did I come too early?"

She laughed and shook her head.

"No, I'm fine. But really, Sasuke, when was the last time you and [Name] hung out?" Almost robotically, I bluntly answered her with, "Last night."

"Last night?" I groaned and covered my face, realising how odd it must've sounded.

"Not like we did- well, yes, last night, but-" Sakura cut me off with a laugh.

"Don't worry, I know what you mean," she giggled. "Did you talk much?"

"We talked the night away," I said, rolling my eyes. "She's completely obsessed with Suigetsu, I can just tell. They're supposed to be going out for a race today, or something like that." 

Even though there was something about [Name] choosing Suigetsu over me that hurt, I made it sound as if it didn't affect me at all. Tch. Her loss, not mine. I had plenty of other friends, anyway.

"You sound so... jealous," Sakura chuckled. "Is there something you're not telling me?" I shrugged.

"What? No?" Sakura sighed, and placed a hand on my arm.

"Well, I hate to break it to you Sasuke, but you sound annoyed that [Name]'s choosing someone else over you for once." I laughed and looked at Sakura, eyebrow raised.

"What? That's so childish," I scoffed, rolling my eyes. Sakura grimaced.

"You always used to be [Name]'s priority before we met, didn't you?" she asked softly. I turned away from her.

"Maybe."

"So you are jealous?"

"It's not like I'm dating [Name] or anything! She can hang out with whoever she wants to!" As soon as the words tumbled from my mouth, I thought, Oh no. I sound like a whiny teenage girl. 

Sakura sighed again, and patted my thigh.

"Listen, Sasuke. [Name] was always there for you before we met, and ever since we've started dating, I can't help but feel like you've neglected your friendship with her because of it. Because I know [Name]'s a nice friend and only wants you to be happy, she's probably just taking it all into her stride and moved on, thinking that you have, too."

She goes quiet for a second, and my stomach clenches as I await the rest of her lecture.

"But I know you haven't," she said quietly."

'Moved on?"' 

Sakura smiled sadly at me.

"Think about it, Sasuke."