-02- 🥀 Lonely People In Crowded Rooms

^ Picture of Celeste Butler

"I've been seeing lonely people in crowded rooms, covering their old heartbreaks with new tattoos. It's all about smoke screens and cigarettes, looking through low lights at silhouettes, but all I see is lonely people in crowded rooms."
~Sam Fischer, 'This City'

~~~

*Easton's POV*

Stepping out the elevator with my mother on my arm, I lead us into the large ballroom. Round tables are set up around the room, with a raised platform at the front of the room where the ceremony will take place for all to see.

The only ones who are here early are the high-ranking members of the pack. My father is talking to his Beta, Geoff; most likely about the order of the ceremony. Leon is sitting on the stage, legs tucked beneath him as he plays on his phone. I roll my eyes at that. I told my parents that 13-years-old was too young for Leon to have a cell phone, but they waved it off. Now, Leon constantly has his face stuck in the device.

"Easton!" Mateo shouts, trotting over with a large grin on his face. I smile at him, pulling away from my mother so I can hug him. Mateo cleans up nicely... well, about as nice as he can. His thick, dark curls are pulled up into a bun, and he's wearing a dark navy blue suit that adds warmth to his tanned skin. "Are you ready for your big day?"

"Absolutely," I nod, even though my inner voice is reminding me otherwise. "What about you? You excited to become my Beta?"

"Been ready since kindergarten," Mateo grins, flashing his sparkling white teeth. Mateo's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. Ever since I could comprehend that I would one day be Alpha, I knew I wanted Mateo right by my side.

Outside of my family, Mateo is the only other wolf that I would trust with my life.

"Do you think you'll find your Luna tonight?" Mateo wiggles his eyebrows, making me chuckle. "Hey, just don't lose control and mate with her in front of everyone. I love you, but I don't need to see your bare ass."

Her. Mateo also thinks my mate will be a woman.

'It's against nature for men to be mated to men.'

"That's not true," I grumble.

"Uh, yeah it is," Mateo chuckles with a quizzical smile. "I don't want to see your ass. Sorry, man."

Shaking my head, I force a smile and try to play it off. "I was just fucking with you. "Um, I'm not sure if I'll find my Luna tonight. If I don't, it's not a big deal. I'm not in a hurry."

Mateo nods in understanding, and my mother clears her throat.

"Mateo Pérez," she says sternly. "I've been standing here, waiting for you to acknowledge me. Is that any way to treat the woman who has allowed you to eat half of the food in the pack house?"

"Sorry, Luna Celeste," he apologizes sheepishly, stepping forward to kiss her cheek. "You look beautiful."

My mom brightens from Mateo's charms. "Thank you very much. I figured for my last night as Luna, I should look my best."

"Easton," my father's deep voice silences our conversation as he walks over to us. His light orange-red hair, faded by the speckles of grey, is swept nearly away from his face. "The ceremony will begin in half an hour. Are you ready?"

I nod my head. "Of course I am."

'He's only asking because he doubts you.'

"Good," my father says curtly. "After the ceremony, we'll take your portrait photo for the Hall of Alphas. I already have Geoff preparing your plaque, which will be updated once you find your Luna. Please remember to greet the guests as they walk in. We want to be hospitable to our pack."