-03- 🥀 Cigarette Break

^ Picture of Landon Grey

"Please don't try to kiss me on the sidewalk, on your cigarette break. I can't afford to love someone who isn't dying by mistake in Silver Lake."
~Billie Eilish, 'xanny'

~~~

*Easton's POV*

"Fucking hell," I groan, rubbing my face in an attempt to chase away the exhaustion. I've only been Alpha for less than a week, and I'm already starting to feel worn down.

'You're a fucking disgrace. What kind of Alpha gets tired this easily?'

'You know what would help?' Elias's chipper voice counteracts my much darker inner voice. 'Seeing our mate!'

'You know why we can't do that,' I remind him gruffly. 'He doesn't even know he's our mate yet.'

Elias remains unfazed, as always. 'So let's go tell him! He's going to find out sooner or later, and he might be upset to learn you kept it a secret from him.'

'He's going to be upset that he's mated to a man. Especially a weak Alpha.'

Growling in frustration from the battling voices in my head, I block Elias out and grab a pack of cigarettes off my desk. Most wolves frown upon smoking; believing we shouldn't consume anything that could harm our bodies. After all, we were gifted these forms by our goddess.

Well, no offense to them, but I really need a fucking smoke.

I sneak around to the back of the pack house, making sure no one is following me. An Alpha is supposed to be a strong leader, and smoking to relieve stress is a sign of weakness. And I can't have my pack seeing any weakness in me.

Placing the stick between my lips, a flick the lighter and burn the end of the cigarette until it glows. I draw in a deep breath, letting the smoke burn in my lungs before exhaling and watching it rise to the sky. The grey smoke twists in the air; a graceful dance until it gradually disappears. Watching the smoke proves to be more relaxing than actually smoking, so I keep blowing the smoke up above my head.

I wonder how nice it is to be smoke; something that is released so freely until it disappears of its own volition. Not being weighted down or tethered to this world. Free, with life so peacefully fleeting.

"Cigarette break?"

My head snaps to the side, eyes widening at the sight of Landon Grey standing not even twenty feet from me. How did I not sense him coming? Was I really that focused on watching the smoke that I didn't notice my own mate? Goddamn it, what kind of fucking leader can't stay alert?

"Hey," I smile lazily, despite the condescending thoughts beating me down.

"Hi," Landon says hesitantly, glancing down at the cigarette in my hand.

I raise an eyebrow. "Does this bother you?"

He bites his bottom lip. Cute. "I don't want to disrespect you, Alpha Easton."

I smirk at that. Yup, he definitely has no clue that we're mates. "You can just call me Easton," I tell him.

"Easton," he repeats with a nod, making my heart melt from the way my name sounds on his lips. I feel Elias squirming in my mind, and I unblock our connection.

'Stop doing that!' Elias growls, and I roll my eyes.

"So, Landon," I start, ignoring my pissed off wolf. "What brings you to the pack house?"