5 - the invitation

It was in the middle of the lunch break. Hana was trying to start a conversation but as usual it ended up in only her talking, your thoughts slowly drifting away. You let your eyes wander through the cafeteria and that was when you noticed. That weird girl from the other day was approaching Namjoon, who was sitting on the other side of the room together with his friends.

You narrowed your eyes.

Actually it was not unusual for girls to approach him but there was just something weird about that specific girl.

You immediately tried to push the skeptical thoughts away. It was really none of your busines what the two of them were talking about, but still... you were quite curious what the conversation was about.

From what you could tell it was no usual conversation Namjoon would have with a girl. Instead of flirting, what he would normally do, they seemed to talk about something rather serious. You noticed how Namjoons expression hardened and he suddenly looked very annoyed. Obviously you couldn't hear what they were talking about but this girl just kept insistently talking to him. She looked really desperate, while Namjoon, by now, had his arms crossed over his chest.

Something about this whole situation seemed just too weird. What was going on between them? Not that it was any of your business.

Again you tried to take your eyes away from them and focus on your best friend in front of you, who was still talking to you and didn't seem to notice your mental absence. But it didn't take long until your attention was drawn back to Namjoon and the girl again.

From what you could tell the whole situation slowly had turned into an argument by now. The girl was gesturing wildly before both of them started arguing harshly again. After a while they just stopped talking. The girl crossed her arms over her chest and seemed to wait for Namjoon to say something. But instead of giving her an answer he just brushed his hair out of his face. By now Namjoon only seemed to be annoyed by her and you didn't know why, but it gave you a satisfied feeling.

A smile flits across you face and that was exactly when Namjoon turned his head and his eyes suddenly met yours. You flinched under his stare as a tingling sensation spread through your whole body. His eyes immediately darkened and there was something in his look that made you squirm on the inside. Panicking and not knowing what to do you then hurriedly looked away.

"Y/N, are you okay?" Hanas voice appeared out of nowhere and brought you back to reality.

A little bit confused you looked at your best friend but then your eyes drift back to where Namjoon was standing just seconds ago, only to find nothing. He was gone.

"Y/N?" Hana asks again, this time with concern in her voice.

"Huh?" You turned your head at her. "I'm okay." You then smiled.

"If you say so.." She gave you a curious look but didn't ask any further questions.

The rest of the lunch break continued as normal as possible. Hana asked you about your weekend plans to which you gave your standard answer: 'cuddled up on the sofa with a good book'. Obviously your best friend was not satisfied with this answer and immediately started planning the weekend for you including a lot of 'friendship activities', as she liked to call them.

Hana randomly kept suggesting things you could do together only to replace them with another idea the next second. "...and maybe if we spent some time at the cute little coffee shop at the mall after that, I can avoid going to that stupid party Hoseok wants to drag me."

"But.. don't you want to spent some time with your boyfriend?" You asked a little curious. You didn't want Hoseok to think that Hana would choose you over him, which she, now thinking about it, did most of the time already. It always gave you an uneasy feeling. You liked Hoseok, he was very nice, friendly and super funny sometimes, and you wanted it to stay that way.