Chapter 4. Ruthless

Jo

     We had been running for quite some time and in my panic I forgot how to get to the glass bridge. When the intercom asked me if I was sure I wanted to make the commute again I screamed at it this time. My arms were weak from carrying my sister. I told her we were running to go find Corin because he missed us, which was probably a lie. All we had done so far was make his life harder, but he wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with either. When we reached the glass bridge my breathing became equal again. Something about its magnificent view calmed me.

      I didn't actually know where Corin's corridor was so I planned to hide out in the supply room until morning. To my surprise, someone had beat us to the supply room. When she turned to face me I immediately recognized her. It was the dark haired girl who had to be escorted everywhere. She was crouched over the food and rummaging through it like an animal.

     "Get out of here!" She screamed causing Miriam to jump and grab tight to my leg. She had a look of desperation in her eyes that were lined with dripping mascara as if she had been crying.

     "Please we just need help finding someone," I begged.

     "Well I don't see anyone else in here so freaking get out you stalker!" Her cruel words filled the quiet night. I turned to walk out but Miriam wouldn't budge.

     "His name is Corin and he misses us," my sister explained in her little voice that now had a tone of confidence in it.

     "Wait Corin, the kinda hot James Dean looking one?" She asked me with her eyes brows raised in disbelief. I nodded. "Well if he misses you so much and I help you find him, you have to get him to do me a favor," she bribed winking at me. An unexpected hint of jealousy was born inside me, which I immediately disregarded.

     "Whatever you want just help us find him," I replied forcing a fake smile. She jumped off the supply room floor and twirled her hair through the hallways until we reached room 045.

     "In here," she pointed. "My name's Ruth by the way for when you get me that date." I pounded on the door and when it opened I slammed it into Ruth's face.

     "Jo what the heck it's the middle of the night." He sat up confused with a bad case of bed head. Miriam jumped onto his bed before I could stop her as if they had been best friends forever.

     "I know I'm sorry but tonight a woman died of the virus, and my whole group is trying to find and kill the person who snuck onto the ship." I motioned towards my sister. "I mean it makes no sense because they're just increasing their chances of exposure, but who's going to tell the vengeful idiots that?" I thought back to when she came in contact with our mom who was very sick and convinced myself even more that Mir was the host.

     His mouth dropped open, "So you brought the virus to come jump on my bed!" He yelled at me and then broke into sarcastic fits of laughter. "That's just great."

     "I'm sorry I just panicked." I realized how much I really didn't think my plan through. The door to his room flew open revealing her again.

     "Oh my gosh, you're telling me I just escorted the virus to this innocent guys room!" Ruth's voice was deeper than mine and always held a tone of blame. She pressed her black and white tie dye printed mask tight against her face and backed away from us.

     "Are you kidding me," I began filled with disbelief, "you were eavesdropping on us?" Corin chimed in next.

    "Who is this?" He gestured towards Ruth, his voice rising an octave every time he spoke. Then Miriam's depressing words silenced our Bickering.