Chapter 7. A Change Of Perspective

Jo

     "Jo!" I heard his familiar voice and forced a slight smile.

     My muscles still ached and my head was pounding, but when he held my head in his arms all of my pain seemed to melt away.

     "Is she ok, is Ruth awake?" I asked concerned, finally coming to my senses. I began to scan my surroundings and found I was no longer on the wind tunnel floor. Before me stood Laz who had a look of smugness on his face. Miriam was wrapped around my waist, and I was lying on the hard floor, which someone had placed a shirt on beneath me for my comfort.

     "Aww were you worried about me?" Ruth's annoying voice actually sent relief flooding through my body, so I just sent a small smile in her direction. Our odd little instant family we were becoming showed our care through sarcasm. Laz was bouncing around the odd room we were in, which held various buttons and wires that all looked important. Something told me that we were not welcome in this room.

     Corin stood against the door, one foot propped against it with his arms crossed over his chest like he was posing for a magazine cover. He stood firmly in front of the door as if he was guarding it and wore a look of worry on his face, which caused me to mimic him. If the most nonchalant person ever seemed worried something had to be really wrong.

     After no one spoke for a while the very anxious version of Laz who looked like he had downed multiple cups of coffee spoke up.

     "Oh, I cannot sit here and pretend all of those people didn't just disappear when you ran at them Corin!" His voice was raised and held a cry of desperation. I sat up in surprise and finally saw everyone for the first time clearly. It soon became clear to me that the shirt that supported my head was Corin's. His bare toned upper body caught my eye, and I quickly threw his shirt at him. I couldn't help but notice what seemed to be bruises covering his stomach and became concerned and confused. Regaining my focus I directed my attention back to the panicking Laz.

     "It happened again?" I started spiraling questions. "Why were you running at the angry mob and where the heck are we?" I looked at these strangers, who had became people I deeply cared about in so little time, waiting for answers.

     "It was so awesome!" Laz exclaimed glancing towards Corin. "People were chasing after us and then we found you two on the ground passed out, so Corin pushed me and Miriam aside and threw himself into the mob to protect us; but then when he hit them they disappeared and he face planted. He let a small laugh slip out, quickly covering his mouth and turning in the opposite direction.

     My gaze travelled from the awestruck giggling boy to the face of Corin who was looking at the ground, embarrassed, and I noticed for the first time a bruise above his right eye. He struggled to get his shirt back on, obviously sore from his heroic efforts Laz told us about.

     I wanted to ask why he reacted so stupidly, but instead I remained silently grateful at his efforts to protect my little sister. Still struggling to redress himself, he tossed his shirt on the ground, and shook his head. I wanted so badly to try and comfort him from whatever monster was intruding his mind and to get some answers about how I got to this strange place, but he didn't look like he was in the mood to be interrogated.

     I slowly approached him, as someone would a stray dog, for that's what he resembled in the moment. A hungry, tired dog who had been in a fight with other strays, but in his case a fight with the floor. The floor clearly won. I held my hands out and began pulling his shirt over his head, but he winced and pulled away.

     "Corin, what's wrong?" My voice held immense concern and so did the looks of those around me. He pressed his lips together tightly trying to hide their quivering motion and hid his face behind his hands. He turned bracing himself against the wall behind him, slapping it repeatedly. It was scary to see him in this broken state. He was always so full of life and adventure. He gave me my own sense of adventure.

     "Wow, dude you good?" Ruth's blunt response would usually bring a smile to his face, but this time he held an unwavering gloomy expression. Corin turned to face us again, wiping away his tears and revealing his red face. He breathed a deep breath, getting ahold of himself.

     "Yea, I'm good," he tried to convince us with his words, but refused to make eye contact with us. Before I could interject he swiftly walked out of the room we all took cover in.

     "Wait," I interjected as the door slammed behind him. Miriam looked at me then disappeared behind the cement door too, chasing after Corin, who she'd grown to love over the past week and a half. I think he reminded her of what it felt like to have a big brother again, though Ky was never as snarky and arrogant as him. Ruth laughed obnoxiously at Miriam's newfound confidence that left me astounded and with a dropped jaw.

     "Hey little one wait up," She called after Mir and then joined them behind the door. Under normal circumstances I would already be searching for my sister, but what could holograms to do her? Laz and I were the only ones left so I motioned for him to follow me to find the others, but he wasn't paying attention to me. Laz stared intently at an odd boxy beeping computer, that looked very outdated compared to all of the other fancy gadgets in the room.

     "Hey Jo, you may wanna come take a look at this," he called over his shoulder. The dusty screen flickered on and projected a variety of dates listed in chronological order. The list dated back from 1998 to 2023 (this year). Laz maneuvered the mouse until it hovered over the first date and clicked on it. What we saw next only proved that we would never find normal.