Chapter 22. She Was All The Colors In One

Miriam

      The colors of the rainbow twirled around me like ribbons. It was beautiful. It was the biggest most exciting playground I had ever been on. I never wanted to leave. I travelled from color to color, occasionally stopping to make silly faces at myself. There was thousands of little me's everywhere, it was amazing. Sometimes I would hear a very loud cry, but I tried to ignore it.

      When I wondered upon the red walls that gave me the creeps the cries became louder. It sounded like a boy. I wanted to call Laz and Corin's name to see if it was them, but I was too scared. I wanted to leave these walls quickly. I liked the green ones better so I tried to find them again. After I slowed my racing feet and my heaving breath I saw laz. He looked sad and kept mumbling something. I took a step closer to him, but he didn't seem to notice me. He was very zoomed out, so I grabbed his hand and listened very closely to his words.

      "Coward," he sobbed. What did that word mean?

      "Laz it's me Miriam," I told him. "Why are you upset?" He didn't look at me when I spoke; instead he starred at the moving pictures around us. On one wall Laz was running very fast from something and he looked scared. On another he was in a big fancy building, maybe his school? Kids were laughing and throwing things at him. He looked very sad, but the last wall actually looked kind of fun. Laz was playing lots of sports: soccer, football, tennis, and even some weird one I'd never seen before with a stick that had a net on it.

      He looked happy in the pictures so why was he so sad as he stared at them. Out of all the pictures that was the one he wouldn't take his eyes off of.

      "I want to commit, but I have no drive." he whined under his breath. "I'm sorry mom." A tear fell down his face.

      "It's Miriam silly not your mom, but it's ok don't cry," I told him.

      "Its ok?" I gave him a big bear hug and motioned for him to bend down so I could wipe his tear away.

      "Yea it's fine don't be sad please," I whispered.

      "I'm sorry I can't help it, but I'll try." I patted him on the back like sissy always did to me when I was sad, but suddenly he was gone.

      "Laz where did you go?" His pictures began to fade along with the bright red walls. I remembered how much they creeped me out, so I ran out of the red sea. As I ran, the walls behind me lost their color and went dark. The only thing that I was more scared of then those creepy red walls was the dark, so I ran faster.

      The color fading was kind of cool though. It was like every step I took a color disappeared. I felt like I had superpowers, so I focused on that. I controlled the colors with my mind. A big black shadow monster was not chasing me. No, I was in control. My breathing became heavy.

      "It's ok Miriam don't be afraid," I told myself as my feet carried me farther and farther away into the shining lights ahead.