Chapter 26. Farewell Notes And New Beginnings

Corin

2 months later...

"Come on Mir we have to get dressed the broadcast is today." As much as I hated facing this day I knew I had to do it for her; we all did. So I put on my brave face, and the first suit I've ever owned thanks to my new allowance from COA. When I first regained my consciousness the last thing I ever wanted to do was work for them especially after what they did to us, to her, but then again the actual head of COA saved me.

Turns out Ruth and her evil twin were going to pull the plug on us, but the Leonard or Leo as we call him, is actually a pretty cool guy and stopped them before they could, thanks to Jo. Ruth was filled with guilt now, but I couldn't help but wonder if Jo would have lived if she wouldn't have turned against us. If Jo was here she'd say that Ruth was all alone and her brother made her feel like she had a family so she had her reasons, she was hurt.

Me on the other hand I have planned her murder in my mind over and over. Jo's little voice in my head is the only thing keeping me from following through. So for the past two months we've all lived on this stupid shuttle still, only now we aren't all trying to fight for our lives every day or trying to kill each other every second, well besides me and Ruth of course, but I keep it together for Miriam.

She doesn't know what Ruth did because she needs a girl in her life, and Ruth racked with guilt has made it her newfound purpose to take care of and entertain Miriam at all times. We agreed not to tell her until she was older. Laz knows but he's not one to hold a grudge, and I think he may have a crush on Ruth. Miriam also doesn't know that her brother was actually alive this whole time and an ambassador. No one could bring themselves to tell her, but I did hold onto his goodbye letter for her until she came of age.

Speaking of letters, Leo had us retrace and document our whole experience after the experiment. He said the people would want the truth down to every detail, and apparently the ambassadors had been doing the same all along, but writing our story down has been the most bittersweet thing. At moments I'll look back and laugh at us, but there's also times where I soak the pages with my own tears. Especially when I'm retracing a memory about Jo. I missed her more than anything, and poor Miriam still didn't understand where her sister was. It was beyond hard to get up every day and still be around the rest of the five. They were constant reminders that she was gone, but I knew it wasn't fair to take my many raging emotions of grief out on them.

So we've all been amicable because we know Jo would want us to stick together as a family, but it's hard when a piece of our family is missing. Especially today we had to stick together, despite our differences because everything would change once again.

"Ruth would you help me button my dress," Miriam yelled across the ship hallway. immediately Ruth responded, helping Miriam dress in a yellow and white dress. Ruth wore a simple black dress and black heels, as if she was going to a funeral. I guess in a way we were. It was a funeral for everyone's old normals.

After two months of preparing to lead the rest of the united states into the new era of the unmasked we were finally ready. We had to tell the people the truth about the experiment known as project humanity, that had been going on for decades. We had no clue how they would respond, we only had the truth and fake brave faces. I didn't want any part of this at first, but these people deserved to know the truth. When we landed back on Earth, right in the middle of blazing hot Texas I felt a knot in my stomach. How was I supposed to tell everyone that what they've feared for so long, what even drove some of their loved ones to death was all fake?

All I wanted was for things to go back to normal, but I was starting to realize that there was no such thing as normal. Life constantly changed, the only thing that was consistent was change, so why do we try so hard to hold onto to this fictional idea of normal? What we really needed saving from wasn't a virus, a person, or ourselves but it was the idea of normal.

With sweaty palms and a heavy heart I walked off the platform and into the broadcast room. I was at a loss for words on want to say when Miriam ran and jumped on me giving me the biggest bear hug.

"Hey Cor I found something," she giggled.

"What did you find?" I asked her smoothing out my now wrinkled suit.

"Its a note Ruth found it when she was doing laundry and she told me to give it to you." She handed me the note and then scurried back to Ruth and Laz, who were getting ready for the broadcast.

When I opened it I bursts into tears, without even reading a word, I knew it was her sloppy handwriting. It read, "Dear Corin Iv'e told you this before, but you were so out of it I wasn't sure if you heard me. I'm sure someone has explained what happened to me, since they all woke up before us. Tell Miriam I'm sorry I left her, but I only did so knowing that she wouldn't be alone, that she would have a family. Tell her that I said to embrace her miraculous mind and use it for good, even when times get rough. Always let her know she is loved. I know you'll take care of them all. Cut Ruth some slack every now and then I know deep down all she wants is a family, though she would never admit it.

Teach Laz to be brave and kind and never let him loose his goofy sense of humor. And as for yourself Cor never stop loving big like you do. Underneath your shell of sarcasm there is a complex man who deserves to love and be loved. We had a pretty epic story, but don't let your story end here." A tear fell from my face soaking her beautifully written words. "Promise me you all will always stick together, forgive each other, and look after each other no matter what. Oh one last thing I know this may sound crazy and maybe this is just a hallucination of a dying girl, but I'm suddenly remembering meeting a friend (and only that no need to get jealous hot stuff) named Barnett so once you wake if you see him give him my best, ok? Love Jo"

"Barnett?" I whispered aloud to myself, taken aback by the very familiar name, but I had no time to process anything.

"Corin we only have a few minutes left before we go live," Leo told me as he placed his hand on my shoulder to comfort me. I just nodded. How was I supposed to pull my self together in time to speak to our nation? Was Ruth trying to sabotage me?

Then I saw back of the note, and began to chuckle in amusement. It was a note for the people. She had written a whole speech for me to read. When did she even do this? Only Jo. I smiled up at the sky hoping that she saw me and how thankful I was. She knew that I had never been good with words. When I looked down I met Ruth's eyes and gave her a small nod. She gave me a small smile back and then it was time.

I stepped up to the camera that was about to broadcast my face across the nation, and took a deep breath. My hands trembled as I held the letter that read her life altering words, and a tear rolled down my face. I had to keep it together and finish what we started. My family, that was now missing a very important piece stood behind me, and before we were ready the camera clicked on. 3, 2, 1 the screen counted down and then a red button flashed on. I cleared my throat and read her letter with confidence.

There was no turning back now. Our old normal was gone, but at least now we knew the truth. Though normal was gone forever, though it felt like the very ground on which we were standing could fall out from underneath us at any second, we had hope because we had us.