| t w e l v e

The stirring darkness was frightening

The stirring darkness was frightening. Curled tendrils beckoned the unknowing into Seohyun's mind, chaos had descended. Danger, madness, and confusion. It was a blackout. Red and blue lights flashed like a spring of lightning. She thought she saw her brother and Prosecutor Lee but couldn't be too sure. She heard lots of noise, commotion, but it all merged into one blurry puddle.

At the back of the ambulance, it was a wave of chaos that rolled over everyone but was tucked away under a blanket. With one single lift, everything would ultimately spill. Shock paralyzed the young doctor's senses, it was a total blackout in her mind. Her body took over, working to alleviate the open wounds of the victims and help the medics in the tight space of the vehicle.

Things didn't get easier when they reached the emergency room. "Seohyun? What are you doing here?!" Dr. Kim could only utter as he saw Seohyun loading the stretcher through the entrance.

Ignoring his question, she proceeded to help the medics steer Kitel up the ramp that connected the entrance of the emergency room. "Dr. Kim, can you handle this one? Shot in the calf, unconscious. there's so much blood loss I believe a vein or artery may have been punctured."

"Are you insane? I have a Laminectomy scheduled later, I'm booked. I'll go ask a nurse to check which vascular surgeon is on call." Seohyun nodded before racing back to help the paramedics and EMT escort the second patient out of the back of the ambulance.

Jiwoo groaned, his face scrunched in pain and pale as if it was powdered in chalk. He was semi-conscious, but for how long? It was a battle against his senses to fall in and out of sleep. They carefully loaded him on another stretcher, laying him on his stomach as the knife was still plunged in his back.

Everything still felt too surreal for Seohyun, the last thing she expected was to be thrust into performing an abdominal exploratory laparotomy on Jiwoo. With the lack of surgeons on call and occupied with hectic schedules, she knew better than to refuse. She was quick to change into scrubs and follow protocol for preparation; Nurse Kang aiding her. "Aera, is he stable enough for an x-ray?"

She nodded, watching Seohyun strap on a pair of latex gloves to complete her hospital gear. "Lacerations in his stomach and liver. Thankfully, there were no arteries damaged in his arm." She followed Seohyun as they walked briskly down the corridor, making their way to the OR. "Dr. Ahn will lead the surgery," she added, wondering how the news will affect Seohyun.

What!? Seohyun wanted to yell out loud enough for the whole west wing to hear. However, she kept a monotone expression, not letting a drop of annoyance taint her delicate features. What's worse? The fact that I'm more competent, or that it just had to be Jisu. They arrived in the OR, and everyone snapped their attention to Seohyun.

"Shall we begin?"

Only the heart rate monitor answered her question, the uniform beeps rippling the silence in the operation room. Seohyun neared the operating table, not sparing a glance at Jisu who was on the other side. Jiwoo's back was laid flat on the table, the bright surgical lights shining a warm glow to his skin that was etched with ridged muscles. The black handle stuck out like a thorn, piercing the smooth surface of his back. The anesthesiologist rubbed a cotton ball soaked in yellow liquid next to where the knife sunk, and Jisu got ready with a scalpel to cut through the skin next to the knife.