| n i n e t e e n

Jiwoo was swaying in the office chair behind Eunho's desk

Jiwoo was swaying in the office chair behind Eunho's desk. Twirling a pen in between his fingers, he arched a brow. "Is that so?"

"Yes! I swear, I'm not desperate! That particular symbol was tattooed on the back of his neck!" Eunho paced back and forth in front of the desk, a habit of his whenever he got incredibly nervous. He wasn't sure if he was losing his mind, or if he was indeed growing antsy for new clues. He couldn't have been mistaken, even with the wisps of longer strands of hair hiding the mark, Eunho was sure of what he saw.

"I never said you were desperate." Jiwoo eyed him intently. Eunho was still a young prosecutor, lesser experienced. A prominent case that shook the nation was in his hands, taunting him. It seemed like a deliberate setup for ultimate failure, a play with Eunho acting as a ragged puppet to put on a dead show.

Jiwoo was protective of him, like an older brother nurturing the sibling he never had. "We're lightly treading on thin ice here with a valuable lead. I say we should secure a search warrant pronto." If Eunho is right, we better act fast before they get on our tail.

"Yeah, I'll go talk to Atty. Kang about it." Grains of trickling sweat dotted the corner of his forehead from the constant pacing around the office.

"Other than reporting to Atty. Kang, don't tell anyone else about this lead. Not even the police department. With Officer Min gone, I doubt there's anyone left we could trust." Jiwoo sighed after carrying out the warning, ruffling his hair through his hands. "By the way, any update on Kitel? Did you at least talk to her doctor about what the hell's going on?"

Eunho slumped his shoulders, and Jiwoo instantly knew that it was a silent indication of bad news. "As far as Dr. Go told me, she went into a shock of some sort, and she could already be suffering from brain damage." His eyes were lifeless like a rotting corpse, void of any silver of hope left. "Fortunately, there's a good chance she'll gain consciousness any time soon, however..."

"She might suffer from memory loss," Jiwoo finished for him. Typical. It would be a dead-end with their potential chance at new information with Kitel. They badly needed her input to piece together a jagged picture full of decaying holes from missing fragments.

It was then he widened his eyes. "Shit, this perfectly explains why they didn't allow for tight security. Not because Kitel wasn't a VIP, but to mangle with her." The crime investigator already jumped out from his seat, the pen stiff in his firm grasp.

"Whoever came out from her room that night had ill-intentions without a doubt," Eunho chimed, pursing his lips in a thin line. "God, it makes me sick knowing that the victim is being toyed with in that wretched place." Gritting his teeth, Eunho felt a strong sense of vehemence swimming in his chest at the thought of the helpless girl being handled around like a rag doll with no regard for her life.

"Eunho, pull on a report and submit it to Atty. Kang fast. We need to work on this before things get out of hand. Especially with the prospect that the victim might wake soon, someone is going to actively take that chance away from her." Jiwoo felt a buzz ripple through the pocket of his slacks. He slipped his phone out and realized it was a text message. Immediately, he swiped the screen to view the content.