| t w e n t y t h r e e pt. 2

She watched his velvet lips weave into a once charming smirk that was now a crime

She watched his velvet lips weave into a once charming smirk that was now a crime. Daehyun slipped off a single leather glove off his other hand, a subtle hint compared to what he was about to do next. Turning around, he elegantly slipped off his lab coat and ran a free hand through his hair. Seohyun felt her knees go weak; if she had been standing, she would've already fallen to the ground.

The glove... the tattooed symbol on the back of his neck...

Her brain hurt with flashes of the evidence Eunho had presented to her the first time she visited the Law Firm. It was as if lightning had struck her head and cleaved it completely.

"It all makes sense... why you rejected Dr. Kim's request for extra security at Kitel's room. And it was you who lured her in that bar! You tried to get her kidnapped, and when it failed, you tried to kill her the night before she leaves the hospital! A sick attempt to frame me!"

Everything came full circle; the picture was finally whole. And now, Seohyun would have to pay the price. "Well done for figuring it out, I never expected less from my dear apprentice." He clapped his hands together slowly, sarcastic applause that offended her in more ways possible.

"But like I once told you, this is just the beginning of our game. But this time, you'll play by our rules." A ruthless laugh caressed the room, vibrating in the air. He turned his back to her, hands leaned on the surface of a table.

"Why?" was all she could muster, shaking her head in dismay. "I looked up to you; you were my idol..." Her regretful stare bore through his back, shrouded in the dark shadows of the hell they were in.

"Seohyun, you and I are so much alike," he began, facing her once again with a look that almost seemed sympathetic. "I understand you, your hunger for perfection. It's a drug you get high on. If you can't have it..." He leaned closer to her, breathing goosebumps into the arch of her neck. "You'll fall apart."

"I know the struggle. Do you think I've flawlessly excelled at my position without knowing the shitty anxiety of fucking up? I get it. But it's so tiring to keep this up. This is the only way I can stay sane. The only way I can release all these depressive frustrations and... practice."

Seohyun felt chills shiver down her spine. Daehyun was here to cut open bodies and dissect them like animals, for practice.

"You are sick. You can only wish that we're similar. But I'm nothing like you, Daehyun! You sick bastard!" Daehyun threw his head back, laughter emitting from his lips like a singsong of melodies. There was a pause that came after his amusement, before deciding to answer her.

"Seohyun, I've loved and longed for you for quite a while. I've always seen you as someone more than just a budding doctor. I can see so much of me in you. If only I knew it would only take this much to finally hear you say my name... I would've done it so long ago."