| s i x t e e n

Jiwoo stood over the sink in the isolated walls of the washroom

Jiwoo stood over the sink in the isolated walls of the washroom. He brushed stray pieces of hair to the side and wiped down any specks of smog that clung to his tailored suit. The wicked turn of events of earlier thundered his vision like a quick flash of lightning. He was doomed to have the image of the mutilated body etched in his memory. Shaking his head, he clasped onto his briefcase that was sitting by the sink.

“Huh?”

Embedded in the folds of the dark leather briefcase was a black spot. Jiwoo plucked at it with his fingers, and it popped out, falling to the granite counter. He picked it up, inspecting the tiny microchip in the palm of his hand. No way this is...

“Jiwoo, what’s taking you so long?” Eunho called out from outside the washroom. He flicked his wrist to check the time, growing impatient. “Hey!” Caught off guard, Eunho was pulled into the lavatory by the arm. Staggering, he balanced himself as he watched Jiwoo lock the door to the men’s room. Eunho’s mouth shot wide open, and he jumped back to the farthest corner of the place. 

“N-now now Sunbae, you may think you’re attractive, but I’m not that kind of guy,” Eunho stuttered, addressing his senior using the honorific. He protectively snaked his arms on his body, recoiling away.

Jiwoo stormed to him, hitting him on the head as if to try to knock some sense into him. “Dummy, what kind of malicious things are going around in your head?” Sighing, he extended his curled-up hand out then opening his fingers to reveal the solid microchip sitting in his palm. A switch and a busted light were attached to it.

“Take a look at this.” 

“This is a listening device...” Eunho pouted his lips, arching his neck to the side. Suddenly, his eyes popped wide open, and he gasped. “Oh my god! Isn’t this the-” 

Jiwoo swiftly covered his mouth, cutting him off. “Keep quiet, will ya‘? We don’t know who else may be watching,” he hissed, slowly removing his hand from Eunho’s face.

“Seriously? In the bathroom? Aren’t you a little paranoid?” 

“Eunho, a mole is lurking in the hospital, who knows how thorough they could be when they have tons of these,” he countered, waving the chip in his eyesight. Eunho snatched it away from his grasp, inspecting the fine detail of the microcircuits and rigid edges.

“Where did you get this? In the toilet or something? It’s an exact replica of the one Dr. Min found in Mr. Ahn’s room.” Eunho felt his nerves jittering at the wicked thought of people stealthily spying on their victims like soon to be prey.

“I found it on my suitcase.” Eunho was on the verge of an astounded gasp before Jiwoo pressed a finger to his lips, hushing him. “Someone must’ve put this in there when I was admitted to the hospital, remember?”