Chapter 14

"Listen kid, you're gonna go into the room and get cleaned up. Some maids will come to help, do not, under any circumstances, cause trouble." I flattened my lips looking at the boy in front of me. My lips flattened even more, seeing him dressed in the Princess' cloak. Our Young Miss is truly too kind.

"You understand what I am saying?" I asked the kid, only for him to nod and run into the room.

As soon as he entered, I sighed and leaned against the wall with my arms crossed.

My name is Julius, I have no last name. Years ago, I too, escaped from a slave market.

I suppose that is the reason I accepted the Princess' command as quickly as I did. Even the way she described the traders was exactly how I remembered the ones who had me.

The Grand Duke found me wandering the woods on his land but instead of killing me, he spared me, and even took me under his wing. I am indebted to him.

My parents were poor and sold me to the slave traders for just a few gold coins. I thought we were happy, but my family was too blinded by greed.

I had a friend there, a young girl, around my age. She had grown up in the market. We theorized that she could've possibly been kidnapped as a young child.

We were both around 10, she might've been a year or two older. She had brown hair and dark eyes and freckles. She had a birthmark that was right by her hairline on the back of her neck.

I remember when I would cry and freak out, she would hold me in her arms. She told me to focus on calming down and came up with a solution of me counting her freckles. It became a normal thing for us, her to be comforting me in such a way.

The day I escaped, she planned to go with me, but couldn't get as far as I did. She didn't sell me out though. When they asked her who else is gone she claimed it was only her. I remember wanting to go back for her and I stayed around the area for a while, contemplating it. While staying there I heard many screams from her and horrible, horrible noises.

I can't imagine how much trouble she got into once the realized I was gone. The noises were enough to send shivers down me.

I should've gone back, but I was too weak, and just ran as fast as my small legs could carry me.

I trained hard at the Grand Duke's residence and I might sound like a braggart but by the age of fourteen I was definitely the best out of the newbies.

Then I met Asher. We became friends fairly quickly, though he was a bit obnoxious. He started to excel at everything, beating even me in a wooden sword fight. He even broke my sword in the process.

It was all too suspicious in my eyes. I inspected the sword after and realized it had been tampered with. Asher was a fraud, but even so, I never spoke up about it.

Years passed again and he became the Grand Duke's personal guard at the young age of 21. I can't say I wasn't envious, I was. I was the same age as him and had been here longer. It seemed even the Grand Duke ate up his lies.

It became better once I was promoted to head of the knights. 

I see the Grand Duke as almost a fatherly figure. I was honestly more happy being the head of the knights opposed to being his personal guard.

Today when Asher told us to all guard the exits, it seemed suspicious, but I still obeyed. There were hundreds, thousands of us, but he insisted on being the only one inside.

Eventually I did go against direct command from my superior and even brought some more top knights with me. Luckily in time too.

The moment I entered the room, I was shocked at the scene. The Princess was covered in blood. She didn't even flinch. Asher on the other hand, looked relieved to see me. He even started sputtering nonsense about the Princess killing the Grand Duke.

The Young Miss, killing the Grand Duke, it didn't add up whatsoever. All of Asher's body language, screamed crazy. I never believed him from the beginning.

He finally confessed to how the mother of the newly adopted children had payed him in gold too commit the deed he did. Of course money was the mains cause. He has always been greedy, so in the end it became his demise.

Some of my men have already went and arrested the mother. The mother sputtered and seemed unhinged. She even tried to claim it was her daughter's idea.

The other Young Miss widened her eyes at the accusation and cried into her brother who glared daggers at his mother.

I wonder how the Princess is doing now. I can't believe she cut his leg with such accuracy. He won't be able to walk without leg replacement for the knee below. Not only that, how was she even able to pick up the sword.

The power you have when someone you truly care about is harmed by another must be second to none.

I watched as multiple maids finally scurried into the room. There was a lot of murmuring in the room, but the kid didn't put up much of a fight.

The kid is very skilled judging from what the Princess said, so we can work with that. He could be a very valuable companion.

"Excuse me sir." I looked down to see a maid in a deep bow. She was wearing a long skirt and long sleeved maid outfit that not many wear. All I could see was that and her brown hair tied in a bun.

"Thank you for saving my miss!" She blurted browning profusely. Once she stood up straight she only reached my shoulder. Is she just short or am I just tall?

Her eyes were dark and she had freckles sparkled across her face. Bangs hung over her forehead and she had longer strands of hair on the side, framing her face.

I found myself frozen and all I could do was nod.

"Well anyways, see you around." She smiled slightly and turned a heel to walk away. My eyes traveled to her slender neck. She had a birthmark on her upper neck.

I wanted to call after her but I still couldn't and ended up just standing there with my mouth agape.