Because You Love Him (Season 0 Yami Yuugi x Reader)

(Season 0) Yami Yuugi x Reader

Because You Loved Him

Lyrics an altered version of Sam Smith’s ‘I’m Not the Only One’

You and me, we stuck together

Through better and through worse.

I can’t believe you let me down

But the proof’s in the way it hurts.

                You had been best friends with Yuugi and the gang for about a year and a half. You had been through thick and thin with them, faced many foes and played many duels. You had grown close to the odd yet kind group. You knew their strengths, their weaknesses, their dreams and aspirations. You knew what made them who they are and… who they wanted to be with. Honda worshipped the very ground Miho walked on. Jounouchi was still searching for his girl (or guy). And little Yuugi was absolutely smitten with Anzu. You had somehow found yourself head over heels for the ‘other Yuugi,’ also known as Yami.

For months on end I’ve had my doubts

Denying every dream

I wish I could just ignore this

But these feelings make me want to scream

                You had tried to ignore your feelings, burying them deep down in your mind, never to be acknowledged again. Sadly, that only worked temporarily as only a few days later you found yourself thinking about the red eyed Yuugi. He then began to invade not only your thoughts, but your dreams as well. Everything about him fascinated you: His confidence, his dueling skills, his level headedness, his voice, his eyes… Oh God, his eyes! They were just so damn captivating! And don’t even get started on the way he smirks when he chuckles! He was just so mysterious and… unknown. You had never met anyone like him.

You make me crazy

'Cause you don't know how you make me feel

But when I see you, baby

I know that this can never be real.

                You were too shy to actually tell him how you felt and you didn’t risk flirting, God knows you would make a fool of yourself. You had spent most of the year being the whenever Yuugi needed you, admiring Yami from afar, but day you decided enough was enough. You were going to tell him how you felt. You had sat on the park bench fiddling with your deck, trying to figure out exactly how you were going to word your confession, when a breathy chuckle reached your ears. You instantly recognized as Yami’s and turned your head to find him with a nervous, yet giddy smile. However, that smile quickly fell when you noticed he was walking with Anzu and… holding her hand.

You’ve been so unavailable

Now sadly I know why

Your heart is unobtainable

Even though Lord knows you kept mine

                Your breath hitched as your chest ached. Your lungs felt constricted and your stomach grew uneasy. You had noticed Yuugi and Anzu spending more time together, sharing smiles and laughs at school. You had naively figured they were just close friends with a few inside jokes. Now, everything clicked. Yuugi had always had a crush on Anzu. Anzu had a crush on Yami. And since Yami is Yuugi’s other half… he liked her back. You quickly hid behind a tree, lest they notice you and walk over to talk. You slid down the trunk of the tree and drew you knees to your chest, hiding your face as you silently cried.

You make me crazy

'Cause you don't know how you make me feel

But when I see you, baby

I know that this can never be real.

                You normally weren’t a crier, nor someone who would cry over a guy, but this was different. You’ve had crushes in the past, yes, and clearly you had gotten over them. But with Yami, you had felt something different. He had saved you and had helped him in many Yami no games. You had shared laughs and tears with him. You thought you shared something special, clearly you had thought wrong.

I have loved you for years

Maybe I am just not enough

You’ve made me realize my deepest fear

By crushing and tearing me up

                Part of you wanted to smack yourself for allowing yourself to be affected by a guy. You had gotten over plenty of guys before, gotten up, brushed yourself off, and moved on. But the other part of you knew this wasn’t just any normal crush. Looking back at your past crushes, you knew they were just school girl admirations. You had hardly really known any of them, just their image and how they portrayed themselves. With Yami, you had seen him crushed and hopeless. You had seen him when he was scared he wouldn’t be able to win a Yami no game and let everyone down. You had seen him when he got a little too dark and Yuugi had to stop him. You had seen him for who he really was and stayed by his side, because you respected and trusted him. Because you loved him.

You make me crazy

'Cause you don't know how you make me feel

But when I see you, baby

I know that this can never be real.

                You had come to terms with the fact that Yami would only see you as a close friend, that his love for you would always be platonic. You had accepted he loved Anzu. You weren’t mad at her. No, you couldn’t be. She was one of your closest friends and showed you nothing but kindness. She treated him well and he did the same to her. You knew you would always love Yami, and you showed that by always being there for both him and Yuugi. If he ever needed a hand, you wouldn’t hesitate to offer one. If he ever needed an ear to listen or a shoulder to cry on, you would drop everything for him. True, he would never reciprocate your feelings, but just being there for him and knowing he respected and cared for you was enough for you.

I know that this can never be real.

And I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, and I know, know, know….

I know that this can never be real.

Because you loved him.