Chapter 3

"Where are you going?" wanted to know Vera as Hamish was rushing to the door.

"Help a friend of mine".

His answer made Vera way angrier than she already was. But what could she do? She was not able to stop them nor to reason with them.

"Hamish! You are not using the Vade Maecum!". The sound of Vera screaming throughout the door stopped him. Her voice was hard and tainted with anger, but also with fear.

"I am going to kill them all" she whispered for herself before regaining her sit, thinking Hamish has already walked past the door of the temple ignoring her calls.

She picked herself up when she heard the door open again.

"What are you so worried about?" asked Hamish feeling a little bit worried for her, though he was so decided to use the book to bring Lilith back.

"The Vade Maecum Infernal is the most powerful book of incantations that exist, it shall not be used for any reasons" she said looking straight into his eyes. "Especially by young practionners that don't know what they're doing and are emotionally involved like you all are" she added hoping she would have made her point very clear.

"What can you suggest then?

- Let her go

- You know we can't do that.

- And why's that?

- She's our friend, our family Vera! Would you have let your daughter go if you had any chance of saving her?". Hamish did reach a point so that she was taken aback by his remark.

"How dare you?" was all she was able to argue after what he has just said.

"You performed the Fors Factoram for her didn't ya? In what world is this different from what we want to do?

- You don't know the story so stop assuming! And for your concern I already paid a price far too high for performing the Fors Factoram" she answered her eyes watering even if she was struggling not to cry in front of him.

"You have no idea of what will happen if you use that book" she then whispered, turning away from his look.

"Then tell me

- I don't know it myself" Vera responded without turning around.

"I can only imagine. And believe me, I am praying for being wrong on this part

- What can be worse than loosing Lilith?

- Having Edward Coventry back" she stated staring at Hamish who was surpised by the look on her face. She didn't show any trace of anger anymore, he was only able to read fear and distress all across her face.

"Wait. Isn't he dead?

- He is not. He continues to live until this book is destroyed. He's just trapped in it so that he can't hurt anybody anymore. But who the hell knows what's going to happen if you use the Vade Maecum to do some random incantations?

- Why are you so scared of him?" asked Hamish concerned. He, himself, had feared Edward Coventry but he was surprised how the sound of his name was scaring Vera, the one woman he has never seen flinched in front of a giant villain.

"Edward Coventry is a former Grand Magus, who used to teach me and who knows tricks nobody in the orders ever learned. We all stand up to defeat him and he knows that Jack is his son, that he is trapped in there because of him and because of us" she said pointing at him. "He knows your identity as werewolves, he also knows very well how to take you down and so he will burn the Order down until he gets the revenge he will come for. This includes killing me and all the members that have helped protecting your kind". She paused taking a deep breathe.