Chapter 7

Once Maddox went up the stairs, Vera went to the kitchen and poured herself a glass. When she came back to the living room, not sure of what she was going to do next, so, she just let herself dive into the couch.

But as she was about to take one sip of the liquid in front of her, she heard a noise coming from behind her.

"What are you doing here?" she asked in disbelief, when she saw Hamish opening the front door and letting himself in, without making a noise.

"And how on Earth do you know where I live?" she added leaving him no time to answer her first question.

Hamish was a little amused by Vera's reaction, but he knows it was not a time to mess with her.

"I am a werewolf" he said in very convincing manner which made Vera shrugged.

"And I am fully aware of this situation of yours" she pointed out with an attitude.

"That means I can smell your scent and follow it to wherever you are or hide" he added with a faint smile trying to cool down the atmosphere.

"Can you?" asked Vera ironically since she was not believing him at all.

"Want to test that theory?" added Hamish towards the brunette.

"Now is not the time, werewolf" she cut him off, taking another sip of her beverage.

"I thought werewolves were only in fairytales and legends. They're not real, are they?

- What are doing here?" asked Vera to Maddox, surprised the boy was still wide awake.

"And why aren't you asleep?" she wanted to know, staring at the young boy with her big blue eyes.

"I forgot my book in my bag". He pointed out his backpack at the entrance laying against the wall. He walked towards the bag, Vera not taking her eyes off him.

"Are you a werewolf?". Hamish was taken aback by Maddox' question who was now standing right next to him, nurturing his curiosity.

"Well, I, huh

- There's no such thing as werewolves Maddox" Vera cut him off, not wanting Hamish to mess this up.

"Now, off to bed" she urged him with a small smile.

"And no more eavesdropping" she warned him kindly in order not to scare him off.

"I'll promise but only if you promise you won't lie to me again" said the boy to Vera which made Hamish smirked.

"Excuse me?

- I can feel it. My dad spent his days lying to my face and I guess I was cool with it since the day he disappeared. I know it has something to do with all the lies, and I am not losing aunt Bitsy or another person I know for the same reason" he replied with the assertiveness of a grown-up.

"We'll find Kepler, Maddox" Hamish said seeing Vera was remaining silent after what Maddox has just told her.

"I've got something for you" she then said lowering her voice and getting away to take a small bag.

"What is it?" asked the little boy when Vera came back. He did not have the time to take a look of the item that Hamish saw Vera throw some white powder to the boy's face. She immediately dropped the bag and caught the boy before he touched the ground.

"What was that Vera?" asked Hamish rushing to the boy still unconscious. But the only response he got was Vera turning to him and shushing him.

"Your name is Maddox Coventry. You're a smart little boy who lives with his aunt Elizabeth. Your mother passed away a long time again, you barely knew her but she was a strong, independent and successful person. Your dad left last year and is not coming back soon. Now, you are focusing on class and baseball since you are very good at it and even the most brilliant player of your school".