Chapter 4

"You don't have the power nor the capacity to invoke such an incantation Mr Morton" said Vera struggling to establish her authority in front of a rebellious Jack who was definitely urging her.

"Try me" replied Jack standing up to Vera's gaze.

"You don't get to say no" he then added seeing Vera sighed and realizing how pissed she was.

"And yet, here's my answer".

She didn't have to say "no" one more time that both Jack and Hamish knew she will not be changing her mind on the subject.

"I'll find support in the Gnostic Council to use that book" said Jack decided not to let Alyssa go.

This remark made Vera lost her temper and as she was about to reply to him her phone started ringing.

"What now Kepler?" she answered the phone.

"Wha—How?" she then replied to the voice at the other end of the phone. "Where are you?"

Her facial expression has changed a bit replacing anger by confusion. Hamish glanced at Jack wanting to know if he was aware of what was going on, but he could tell he was as clueless as him at the moment.

"I'll sent someone to pick you up, okay? Just don't move" Vera said before hanging up the phone and putting on her desk.

"Why are you still here?" she blunted out looking at both Jack and Hamish.

"Because we obviously haven't finished our conversation" Jack responded mentioning the book he was now holding under his left arm.

"I told you no a hundred times! Isn't it clear enough for you?" the brunette said being quite indignant.

"I have more urgent matters to deal with" she added texting rapidly on her phone.

"What's more urgent than bringing back two of your most powerful and faithful practionners?" wanted to know Jack. He was being more than calm and compliant to Vera Stone, but this would surely not last forever if she keeps being such a pain in the ass.

"Faithful?! I'm sorry Mr Morton but you don't really know what you're talking about, are you?

- Oh, I am Magus

- In that case what makes you think that Miss Drake and Miss Bathory were that great for The Order?" asked Vera getting annoyed by the tone of her acolyte.

"You said yourself that Alyssa was one of your best students and that she reminded you of yourself. I also think Lilith was one of your brightest elements before you decided to wipe out her memories years ago

- That's enough!" she raised her voice. The discussion was slipping out of her hands and God only knows how Vera Stone needed to control everything.

Hamish, who was staying silent since the beginning of the talk, was about to intervene, but he was shortly cut off when the door of the Temple burst open.

"Magus, as demanded" said Selena entering the office, a young boy walking next to her. "No sign of Councilor Kepler when we arrived, her burse and phone were lying on the ground" she, then, added, handing the items to Vera.

"Thank you Magistratus, you can leave" Vera replied while putting away Kepler's bag.

"Is that Edward's son?" whispered Hamish into Jack's ear. Morton nodded but remained silent observing every move of his step-brother from where he was standing.

"What happened?" Hamish and Jack heard Vera asking Maddox.

"Dunno, I was sitting at the front, aunt Bitsy was closing the trunk. Next second I called her and when she didn't reply that's when I realized she was gone" the boy explained still a little bit shocked by what has just happened.