Lord Zuko

It was a bright day in the Fire Nation. Lord Zuko sat alone in a gazebo near the turtleduck pond. He felt the warmth of the morning sun as he sipped his tea. He watched as the little turtleducks gathered around their mother. It reminded him of a time with his mother, so long ago. This eighty-seven year old man didn't usually spend his time reminiscing old memories, but he knew today would be full of them.
As he took another sip of tea, he recounted last night's events. He was staring out the window, watching the sun set, when one of the royal palace guards came up to him.
"Lord Zuko, Firelord Izumi asked for you, sir. She is waiting in the library." Said the guard.
"Thank you, Bao. I will see her in a minute." Zuko replied. And with that, the guard bowed, and walked off.
Zuko made his way to the library, and as soon as he came in, Izumi spoke to him, with a sense of fear in her voice.
"Father, I need to speak to you." The firelord stated. "Zaheer broke out of jail once again. The Red Lotus is still at large, and two nights ago, they sent all the leaders of each nation a message. Since they failed to kill the avatar two months ago, they are going after the people who 'established this new world.' Those who helped Avatar Aang change the world. Those who built Republic City."
Zuko scoffed at the idea. "What good will it do now? I am eighty-seven, Izumi. Katara and Toph are the only other people left. And might I add that they are about the same age. What do they plan to achie—"
"A statement, Father." Izumi interrupted. "They plan to scare the public. The world. But Father, whatever their motivation is doesn't matter. They still plan to attack you, Katara, and Toph."
"Oh let them come, I'm not scared. It's probably about time to go anyway." Zuko said, sitting down.
"Father, don't joke about that!" Izumi scolded. She walked towards her father, and put a loving arm around him. "You're important to me. I don't care if you're old. I'm not going to let you be killed."
She kissed Zuko on the cheek, and they both smiled.
"Yesterday, I arranged a meeting with all the other nations' leaders. And I invited Lin and Su Beifong, given that they are the children of Toph. After hours of discussion and deliberation, we came to a conclusion. We are going to collect Toph and Katara, and have them stay at a secret bunker along with you in a mountain just outside the Earth Kingdom."
"What?! Putting all the targets in one place? Izumi, darling, that will only make their job easier." Zuko protested.
"Yes, Father, but hear us out. Lin, Su, Tenzin, and I, as children of the targets of the Red Lotus, want our parents to be safe, and we will do everything necessary to keep them away." Izumi explained. "But as the Firelord, the Earth Prince, the leader of the Air Nomads, and the Water Tribe Chiefs, we decided to put you all together with extreme security as bait. We will lure in the Red Lotus, and fight them with an army from each nation. And there, we will decide their fate."
"Well, that is a good plan, I dare say. But I think it's too risky." Zuko admitted.
"I'm sorry, Father, but you have no say in this. All I want is for you to be safe. You're going, and we will protect you. I'll have the maids help you pack. We're leaving tomorrow." Izumi said.
"Oh alright." Zuko said. He didn't want to argue with his daughter. "Well, I must go to bed now. Good night."
"Good night, Father." Izumi said.
Zuko stood up, and was escorted back to his room by two palace guards. As Zuko walked back to his quarters, he felt like a teenager again. He thought back to all the crazy adventures he went on with Team Avatar. All those rides on Appa. All those laughter. All those hardships. Tomorrow, he'd meet with Toph and Katara again.
He felt a strange feeling at the thought of Katara. Although he hasn't seen her in years, he still remembered the way he felt when he was with her all those years back.
He thought of the times he tried to kill her. The time he found her missing necklace. That time he fought her to kidnap Aang at the North Pole. He laughed at himself. He was so naive. So lost.
As he got to his bedroom, he got dressed in his evening robes, and got in bed. It wasn't long before he had drifted off to sleep.
Now, there he was. Sipping his tea, taking in the last of the sun before he'd be locked in a secret bunker for a few days.
"My Lord, your bags have been loaded in the airship. Firelord Izumi is already there. They are waiting for you." Said one of the maids.
"Oh, my bad. I must have lost track of the time." Zuko stood up gracefully, and straightened out his clothes. "Uhm, let us go then."
Zuko boarded the airship, and took a seat near a window. He stared out into the bright sky as he got closer and closer to living underground with his old friends. He had to laugh. Their children were forcing them into hiding.