Eclipse

Katara had just awoken from her nap. She got up, and combed her hair. She put on her slippers, and walked out to the kitchen.
Katara poured herself a glass of water. She remembered when this used to be easy. Nowadays, she's spill some water because of her fragile, shaky hands.
She drank water, and made her way to the living room. As she walked down the hallway, she heard Jinora and Opal talking. She was puzzled by the fact that they were still there. Their parents should have sent them home by now. Although, then again, it would be much safer in here.
The two girls were talking about Zuko and Katara. Katara stopped beside the door, so she could listen to what they were talking about.

—————

Jinora and Opal were seated together on the couch. Toph was asleep on the couch next to them.
"Zuko and Gran-gran were so cute together." Jinora told Opal. "It was so sweet watching them dancing."
"I wish I was there," said Opal. "I would have loved to see that."
"They were in each other's arms, they were talking about how their lives went by so fast. Lord Zuko even compared them to being the Sun and the Moon. Counterparts. Opposites."
Opal suddenly remembered a poem she read a long time ago. A poem about the moon and the sun. Opal thought it was tragic on how the moon and sun were madly in love, but forced to stay apart.
"I remember a poem." Opal said. "The Curse of the Moon and Sun. It goes like this:
     'The Moon and the Sun circled the skies,
     And chased each other forever.
     Only on special days, for a few minutes,
     Eclipses are when they can finally be together.' "
     "So romantic!" Jinora said. "I love eclipses. They are so beautiful."

—————

     Katara heard enough. So she just walked in on them. "What are you girls talking about?"
     Opal and Jinora were nervous. They wondered how much Katara heard them say.
     "You know, I also loved eclipses." Said Katara. "My grandmother used to tell me the stories of the ancients. Long before the science behind them were ever discovered."
     The young girls were interested now in the story Katara was about to tell them. They waited patiently for Katara to sit down, as she glanced over at Toph, who was still asleep.
     "Long before my grandmother was even born, the ancient tribes believed in the love story of the sun and moon. They believed it was the greatest, yet most tragic story. The sun and moon loved each other very much. The moon was very beautiful, that the sun fell in love. The moon was impressed with the sun's courage and bravery that she fell for him too.
     Unfortunately, the sun wasn't the only one who loved the moon, for darkness fell in love with her beauty and her changing moods too. Darkness wanted her for himself, so he took her, and ran away.
     The moon was desperate to escape. In efforts to free herself from the clutches of darkness, she held on to the sea. Pulled the tides, and pushed it.
     The sun was devastated. He chased the darkness and the moon forever. The sun sent thousands of soldiers to help the moon escape, but none have succeeded. The soldiers were called stars.
     After spending an eternity in the custody of darkness, the moon saw her purpose. Without the moon, one side of the earth with only see darkness and depression, while the other side is filled with light and joy.
     The moon made it her duty to be light in the dark. The army of stars by her side, as the her only remembrance of her husband. She agreed to stay with darkness to give life on earth hope.
     Darkness finally saw their love for each other, and agreed to let the moon go every once in a while. She ran to her husband, and hugged each other tightly. It's as if they were fused together. For a few minutes, two became one. But when their time was up, darkness pulled the moon away from the sun once again."
     Katara finished telling her tale. The two girls looked at her in awe.
     "Gran-gran, that is tragic." Jinora said. "No wonder eclipses are so beautiful."
     "No wonder." Katara agreed.
     "Jinora! Opal!" Suyin called from the other room. "Come here please, we need to speak to you."
     The two girls got up. They excused themselves, and left their grandmothers in the living room.
     Katara was lost in her own thoughts. Indeed, the tale of the sun and moon is tragic. But it is also a story about sacrifice. The moon put her duties before her love.
     Marrying Aang wasn't a duty, she knew. It was her choice. And she never regretted that decision. She was blessed with three wonderful kids, and four grandkids. So what is the problem? She asked herself. I am old, and I haven't wanted something for myself in a long time.
Katara now wasn't sure what she was thinking. How could she have wanted something more? It's just the kids talking, don't let them get you you. She thought.