The Big Day

A week has passed since the dinner at the bunker. The morning after that, everyone got all packed up, and left the underground structure in peace. Everyone enjoyed the fresh air, the bright sky, and the sound of nature itself.
     They said their temporary good-byes, and went home to rest. Until yesterday. All the people who knew about the wedding made their way to Ba Sing Se with their families.
     Tenzin brought Bumi, Pema and the kids on Oogi. Lin went back to Republic City to work the past week, and hitched a ride with the airbenders. Toph stayed with Suyin and her grandchildren ni Zaofu, and all of them took an airship to the walled city. Eska and Desna took a boat from their tribe.
     Since the Southern Water Tribe was too far, an airship was sent there from Ba Sing Se to bring Tonroq, his wife, Senna, and of course, Katara and Kya. Finally, Izumi, Iroh, and Zuko took their own royal airship.
     All the families met up at the Earth Kingdom Palace at the Upper Ring in the walled city. They all unpacked for their overnight stay. Although their rooms aren't as grand as they should be, each room was still very accommodating.
     After the feast hosted by the Earth Prince, everybody went to their separate rooms, and got a good night's rest for tomorrow's big day.
     As Zuko was getting ready for bed, he remembered how he was able to acquire the perfect wedding venue.
     Last week, at the dinner party in the bunker, the prince was starting to feel left out, and he so proudly offered anywhere in Ba Sing Se as an open wedding venue for the couple.
     "Anywhere?" Zuko challenged.
     "Yes. Anywhere." The prince said, certain Zuko wouldn't even want a place in Ba Sing Se, given the current state.
     "Then I know just the place." Zuko glanced over at Katara and asked her, "How would you feel about getting married in the catacombs under the palace?"
     "The what now?" The prince asked, completely unaware of the ancient catacombs. The prince, of course, didn't want to seem clueless, so he agreed, and told himself he'll just ask around the Dai Li later.
     "Sounds good to me," said Katara excitedly.

-----

     "Rise and shine, Mom!" Kya said, bursting into Katara's bedroom, wearing a robe, fresh from the shower. "Big day today."
    She had her make-up kit in one hand, and she was carrying hers and Katara's wedding gowns on the other.
     Katara got up, and smiled at her daughter. She never thought she'd feel this excited again.
     A few minutes later, Suyin came in with Opal. Each carrying their own outfits and accessories. All the girls, except Lin and Toph, agreed to get ready for the wedding together.
     "Good morning, ladies," said Izumi with a big smile as she walked in wearing an expensive-looking robe. Two maids trailing behind her, one carrying her stuff. Another, pushing a cart full of food. "I brought us breakfast."
     "Sorry we're late!" Pema said, rushing in with Jinora and Ikki. "I needed to help Tenzin get Meelo up so early."
     All the girls started getting ready. Styling each other's hair. Putting each other's make up on. One of them turned on the radio and they sang along. They all had fun getting dolled up, and having little bites of breakfast here and there.
     Eska walked in, slowly, into Katara's room. Everyone looked at her, Eska didn't know what to do. She has never mingled with other girls before. She agreed to do this to understand what it feels like.
     "Eksa. Come over, dear. We'll help you get ready." Katara told her with a loving tone in her voice. And for the first time in forever, Eska let everyone see her smile.

-----

     "MEELO!" Tenzin shouted. One minute he didn't want to get out of bed, the next, he was running around the whole place. Tenzin couldn't seem to keep Meelo in one place just so he could get him dressed up.
      Tenzin knew that if he didn't get Meelo ready soon, they would for sure be late. He sat down on the bed, almost giving up. He looked over to his youngest son, Rohan, who was already cleaned up and dressed.
     "At least you're ready." Tenzin said as Rohan grabbed his finger.
     Just then, Bumi came marching in, already in his full attire.
     "Why the long face, baby brother?" Bumi asked.
     "Meelo won't behave. I need him to get dressed." Tenzin explained.
     "Well then, you go ahead and get yourself dressed. I'll take care of Meelo."
     Tenzin stood up and asked, "How will you do that?"
     "Meelo! This is your commanding officer! Fall in, soldier!" Bumi shouted. And just like that, Meelo stopped in his tracks, stood up straight, and held his hand in salute, giving Bumi his full attention.
     Tenzin saw that Bumi got it covered, so he rushed to fix himself up before he was late. "Thanks Bumi! I owe you one!"

-----

     Zuko woke up with a smile on his face. He had breakfast served, and once he finished, the butlers and servants helped him get dressed right away.
     His servants combed his hair, polished his shoes, ironed his clothes, etc. Once Zuko was ready for it, they all helped him get into his traditional wedding attire.

-----

     General Iroh woke up with a fresh start. He walked out to the dining hall, and had a quick breakfast. Once he was done, he went back to his room and hopped in the bathroom for a quick shower.
     He turned on the radio to hear some news while he got dressed in one of his finest suits. He made sure he looked his best, for he was the best man. He did not want to disappoint.

-----

     Lin got up early, actually. She did her morning workout, and the took a shower. Once she got out, she went over to the closet, to put on the dress that Su picked out for her.
     She put it on, although the dress wasn't exactly her style. No dress is. She just thought of it as doing them a favour.
     Lin went out of her room, and walked down the hallway. There was still plenty of time, and she thought she'd probably canvas the wedding venue.
     "Aunt Lin?" She heard Opal say from behind her. Lin turned around to see Opal. She was still wearing her robes.
     "Why aren't you dressed yet?" Lin asked.
     "There's still time." Opal said. "Besides, my make up isn't done yet. Why didn't you style your hair?"
     "I don't need to style my hair." Lin rebutted.
     "Come on, I'll style your hair." Opal offered.
     "No." Lin said forcefully.
     "Please, Aunt Lin?" Opal mused. She held her hands together.
     Lin was quiet for a few seconds. She was actually considering her niece's offer.
     "You don't have to go with the rest of the girls. I was on my way to my room to get my shoes. I'll do your hair there." Opal said, pulling Lin's hand.
     "Alright, fine." Lin said, beat. "But it better not be anything too crazy!"
     Lin followed her niece. Once they got to Opal's bedroom, she sat down on the chair in front of the mirror. She sat still and quietly as Opal began combing and styling her hair.
     It wasn't something Lin enjoyed doing, but in special times like these, although she'd never admit it, Lin liked the feeling that she belonged. The feeling of having a family who cares for her.