7. The Soviet Union

August 1990

I'm trying to fall asleep again. I just had another nightmare and the wound on my left arm itches.

I decide to go to Chucky's room. He isn't there. I'm guessing my brother is downstares then. Mom and dad are in there room, so I'm pretty sure I can go downstares as well.

But first I go to the kitchen for some licorice. I know I'm gonna be in trouble for this, but it would be worth it.

Suddenly I smell something. Is the weird guy with the long beard that lives nextdoor barbecuing in the middle of the night again?

I go to check it out. In the living room, I find Chucky. He's holding a lighter, while the couch and the table and everything else in the room are on fire. Even the door. I just stare at him in shock. What should I do?

When my brother sees me he grabs my hand and runs out. Pulling me with him. What about mom and dad? Will they make it out?

Everywhere I look, I see fire. I can't even proparly look around because of the smoke. I try to breath but it's like there's no air in the air. I can't breath.

Until now I didn't even notice I was crying. I'm so scared. I want to scream, but instead everything goes dark.

---

When I wake up, I feel someone is holding me. It's my brother. We're sitting in the grass, next to a tree. I can see our house from here. It's still up in flames and there are a bunch of firemen trying to put the fire out.

Chucky's simply watching the chaos and stroking my hair. "You alright, little ninja?"

I nod. "Where are mom and dad?"

He points at the burning house. I sigh, they're dead. I'm not going to cry about this. Instead I feel relieved. They deserved it, especially dad. I realise I'm crying now anyway. Damn it.

I wish I was shark. Sharks are strong and dangerous. People fear them and they would never try to hurt a shark. And the best part, sharks don't cry. If they do, then at least nobody can see it because they live in the water.

I'm glad my brother got me out of the house, I'm glad I'm not burning like mom and dad, but I can't help but wonder: "What will happen to me now?"

---

-Present-

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Grim Reaper asks us when we arrive in 1986.

"Walk in the park." Lenny says. Maybe for him. My head hurts so much.

"So where are we know?" I ask, letting go of Sara's hand.

"Washington D.C. The year is 1986." Reaper answers. We all knew the year already though.

Professor egghead speaks up. "We've landed at the height of the Cold War in a world poised for nuclear annihilation."

The head pops up too. "We've traveled here because I have a new lead on Vandal Savage's location."

"Yes. Gideon managed to intercept this telefax concerning Savage's last known whereabouts." Grim Reaper explains. He shows us the telefax, but it's all crossed out.

"Tele-what?" The kid asks.

"It's like an e-mail on paper." I explain.

"Wow, that's totally useless." My brother remarks. He's right.

"Dude, the whole thing's crossed out." The kid points out the obvious.

Grim Reaper continues. "Yeah, redacted by the U.S. goverment, which is why we are here to steal the original file on Savage back from those who are tracking him."