14. Time Pigs

September 1990

It has been two months since the fire. Zhishan took me to HongKong. He has a big house here. It's almost like a castle, but I don't feel like a princess.

I can't see my brother, he's too far away. I can barely talk to anyone, because almost nobody in here speaks English. And the few people that do speak English, they won't answer my questions. I'm more lonely than I've ever been.

I hear someone is knocking on the door. I put my rubiks cube in a drawer, I still haven't solved it yet. Then I open the door. Zhishan walks in and sits down on the bed. He signales for me to sit down next to him. I do so.

"I know you must have a lot of questions." He says in his usual broken English.

I nod, while playing with my hair. I'm not sure what to ask first. I want to know so many things, like why the police wouldn't want him to adopt me, why they brought me to China, why the guy with one eye always looks at me with pity... but one thing I want to know more than anything: "Why did you adopt me?"

He's not suprised by my question. "Because I see greatness in you. I need an apprentice, a second, maybe even a legacy." He thinks for a moment, then continues. "My father, he was not a good man. He was a lot like your father."

"How do you know my dad?" I ask him.

"I met him once in Vietnam. I have kept an eye on him, ever since."

I let go of my hair. He doesn't look scary anymore. He looks blank, not scared, not angry, not sad, not anything.

"I can teach you to be strong." He says. "I can teach you how to fight and to protect yourself, so nobody will be able to harm you again."

"You can?" I ask in amazement. It sounds like he can teach me to be a better shark, one that can fight.

He studies my face and then answers me."I will."

---

-Present-

I don't know how long it has been. The sun rises, the sun sets, the moon rises, the moon sets and the sun rises again... It's cold. Really cold. We've both tried to look for food, but we couldn't find anything. We ended up strangling rats to survive.

I don't want to die, definetly not like this. I'm weak, the team hates me, Chien doesn't know where I am and I didn't get to apologize to Sara.

I'm not sure if I even could apologize. I would do it again. I could never abandon Chucky.

But I do hate hurting her.

Suddenly I hear footsteps. I look around, nothing to see yet. I try to stand up, but I don't have the strength to do so. Neither do I have the strength to turn invisible. Chucky heard the footsteps too. He can't stand up either, but manages to pull me closer to him.

A man, one that looks a lot like Boba Fett comes from behind a tree. He walks closer, his gun pointed at us. Chucky pulls me behind him. I look for something to defend myself and my brother with, but the most dangerous thing I can see is a branch.

Then I see a flash of blue light next to me, a very familiar one. Chucky blacks out. I try to run, or crawl away, but the moment I turn around, there's another flash and I'm unconsious too.

---

I wake up in some sort of cell, it looks very futuristic. Chucky is in the cell next to me. "Ninja!" He grunts when he notices I'm awake.

"Where are we?" I wonder.

"The time pigs kidnapped us. They brought you dinner."

I look down to see a plate with food. I quickly grab the thing that looks a bit like a sandwich, but isn't really a sandwich and eat it. I probably look like a caveman, but the food is all that matters.