7: Strong Independent Woman

Both Liz and I were out celebrating. Why? Because we had now entered the big bad adult world and had landed jobs.

"We're officially adults" Liz shouted out as we walked about the shopping mall.

I passed by a window which displayed a dazzling red dress, a slit at one side, looking elegant as it sat atop the mannequin. "I'm so going to buy that when I get my first pay cheque" I sighed, walking past it longingly. "I won't leave you" I whispered as I passed by.

"I can't wait to finally have loads of money and buy whatever I want" Liz squealed with delight. Liz had landed a job with the local newspaper as a journalist. It was a trainee job, but it was better than nothing.

"I'm don't think we'll have enough money to buy everything"

"But we'll have actual money to spend on actual things. Like fancy meals"

I raised an eyebrow at her "Do you think we'll give up our McDonald's trips in exchange for something fancier"

Liz pursed her lips before erupting into laughter "You're right, I don't think our tastes will change"

I shook my head at her craziness. It was nice to have a bit of extra money to spend. I was hoping to save some now for my own place eventually. Liz and I decided to celebrate by shopping for work clothes. We now needed a whole new wardrobe to accommodate our new lifestyle.

"What do you think of this?" Liz asked as she picked up a red polka dot dress.

I nodded, "That suits you. It's very smart casual"

Liz smiled, happy with my answer, and held on to the dress. "Has anything caught your eye yet?"

I shook my head "Nothing yet. I'm sure I'll come across something. I literally have no clothes at home suitable for work"

Liz smiled "Can you believe that this is actually happening? We're shopping for work clothes! For work! For our adult jobs"

"It's crazy. I'm not sure I'm ready to be an adult yet" I shuddered.

"Remember when we were kids and all we wanted to do was grow up? Now I wish I told that little girl to never grow up. It's really not that fun" she laughed.

"I think I'll always be a big kid on the inside. I refuse to grow up" I joked.

We slumped down at the table on the food court, finally glad to relieve ourselves from our shopping bags, as we relaxed and ate our food. I had managed to pick out a few pieces of clothing, which were approved by Liz of course.

"So, what's happening with you and Ian? Have you heard from him?" I asked Liz, slurping my milkshake.

"Nothing is happening. The last I saw of him was our night out at the club. We've been messaging but he hasn't asked me out" she sighed, looking to the ground.

It had been a couple of weeks since our night out and to be honest, I was still feeling the effects of that night. It was safe to say, that I would not be going out again for the foreseeable future. My partying days were truly behind me. Jeez, I really was becoming an adult.

I hated seeing Liz like this. She was normally upbeat and happy, especially when Ian was mentioned. There was a chemistry between them, it was so obvious. I believed Liz when she said she had found 'her one'. I just hoped Ian felt the same way.

"Why don't you ask him out instead?" I suggested.

Liz dropped the panini that she was about to take a bite of "Huh?"

"Why not?" I shrugged "It's the twenty first century, you should take charge and ask him out on a date"

Liz pursed her lips as she pondered over this, then nodded her head slowly "You know what, you're right. I am a fearless brave woman. I'm going to ask him out. I'm going to do this." she said as she whipped her phone out of her bag, a huge smile on her face. She stayed frozen like that for what felt like ages with her phone held in her hands looking down at her screen.