Shut Up and Kiss Me

Paul looked at his phone, the wallpaper of his pet turtle, Shelby, lighting up the screen. It was the very last day of the year, and there was only half an hour left.

He switched his phone off and sighed, taking in the sight in front of him. Paul was at Ted's house, and he had thrown a New Years Eve bash. He only saw the usual things you see at a party. Lots of people dancing, making out, more dancing, more making out, and then there was Emma, standing awkwardly at the door.

Paul and Emma had talked before. They were certainly friendly with each other, but Paul liked to think there was something more. He stood up, grabbing two cups of punch before weaving through people to get to her.

Emma looked totally lost, but as soon as her eyes landed on Paul, her face relaxed and she smiled. "Hi!" She yelled over the music.

"Hello!" Paul yelled back, standing close to her. He looked down at her and noticed the right black dress she was wearing, and attempted not to blush. He handed her the cup and grinned at her. "Last day of the year cheers!" He exclaimed.

Emma took the cup gratefully and held it up. "Cheers to that!" And they clinked their glasses together a little too hard, resulting in bright orange tropical punch soaking through Paul's crisp white shirt.

Emma stared at him in horror before Paul cracked a smile and they burst out laughing. "I'm so sorry!" Emma said through tears.

"It's alright, but I need to clean this! I'll be back!" Paul replied, handing her his cup and turning away.

"Wait, Paul!" Emma called, and Paul looked back at her. "I'll come with."

Together they pushed their way through the dancing crowds in the living room, and arrived at the top of their stairs before a very drunk Ted appeared in front of them.

"Well, hhhhello!" Ted yelled, and clapped his hands together sluggishly. "Emma! Lookin h-o-t tonight!" He commented, earning a quick punch from the girl. "Ouch! He yelled out.

Paul laughed and Ted's gaze turned over to him. "You too Paul!" He slurred, toppling over slightly. "Look great, buddyyyy." Ted pat his chest hard and hiccupped.

Soon it dawned on Ted what was happening. For his not-so-sober-view, it looked like the two were heading upstairs together but not to clean Paul's shirt. "Where are you going?" He asked, tipping from one side to another. "About to get-it-on?" Ted let out a deep laugh and pulled an action that doesn't need to be described.

Emma blushed and looked away, while Paul scoffed and lifted his head up. "No, Ted." He said firmly. "Em spilt punch on me, we're cleaning it up."

Ted frowned and waved his hands around. "Whatever you say, bud. Bathroom's up the right." He pointed and soon disappeared back into the crowd to receive another bottle of beer.

Emma shrugged and they went up the stairs, arriving in front of the closed door. Paul knocked kindly, and on the other side of the door he heard a sickening sound and immediately stepped back. "I think someone had too many drinks." He said to Emma.

She looked around at the doors around them, until she noticed one opened. "This is Ted's room. He has a connecting bathroom." She said, leading Paul towards the room.

"How do you even know that?" Paul asked, silently confused.

"Oh, well, Ted's like a brother to me, you know that." Emma said. "I've been here a lot."

"True." Paul said, and closed the door behind them.

Emma grabbed the hand towel and ran the water in the sink, soaking it before wiping at Paul's shirt. "Shit." She said under her breath. "It's not coming out."